Hammon, Lawson-Wade lift Silver StarsAug 21, 2010 - 2:20 AM SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- Becky Hammon and Edwige Lawson-Wade combined for 19 fourth-quarter points Friday night and the San Antonio Silver Stars all but clinched a playoff spot with a 75-61 victory over the Indiana Fever.
After Indiana erased a 13-point third-quarter deficit to tie the game entering the fourth, Hammon took over. She hit two 3-pointers and a free throw in a 10-0 run that put the Silver Stars back in control.
Hammon scored nine of her 13 points in the final period. Lawson-Wade finished with 18 points, including 10 in the fourth.
San Antonio (13-20) ended a two-game losing streak. A loss by Los Angeles later Friday night would give the Silver Stars' their fourth straight postseason appearance.
Sophia Young led San Antonio with 22 points.
With its second straight loss, Indiana (21-12) wasted an opportunity to take a one-game lead over New York and Washington in the East with one game to play, instead leaving the conference in a three-way tie at the top.
Tamika Catchings led the Fever with 15 points, but hit just 5 of 18 shots. As a team, Indiana was 24 of 66 from the field.
The Fever have not won in San Antonio since 2007.
SAN ANTONIO 75 FINAL
Aug 20 9:57 PM
SAN ANTONIO 21 END, 1ST QTR
Aug 20 8:30 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- Bye bye Birdie? Storm's Sue Bird not ready to walk away yet May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- WNBA's Dan Hughes enters last season as San Antonio coach May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- Fever sign Pohlen, Wheeler to training camp deals Feb 8
- WNBA star Tamika Catchings interns at NBA offices Feb 6