Mercury defeat Lynx, take 1st place in WestJul 13, 2011 - 7:58 PM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - Diana Taurasi scored 27 points and had eight assists to help the Phoenix Mercury take a hard-fought 112-105 victory over the Minnesota Lynx.
DeWanna Bonner added 24 points from the bench, and Penny Taylor and Candice Dupree each had 19 points and eight rebounds to give the Mercury a one-game lead over the Lynx for the top spot in the Western Conference.
Seimone Augustus led Minnesota with 22 points and Rebekkah Brunson posted a double-double with 16 points and 16 rebounds as the Lynx had their two-game win streak snapped.
The lead exchanged hands a total of 12 times throughout the contest and each team had a double-digit lead at one point in the game.
Down by one with less than a minute to go, Taylor made a steal on Augustus and was fouled while making a run toward the basket. Taylor made both free throws and Taurasi added three more to extend Phoenix's lead to 107-103 with 23.8 seconds left.
The Mercury would hold on for the win as rookie Maya Moore missed three shots from beyond the arc down the stretch.
- PHOENIX: 112
Jul 13 3:09 PM
- PHOENIX: 48
Jul 13 2:00 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Jul 13 1:07 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Minnesota Lynx No. 1 in first AP WNBA power poll May 13
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- WNBA hires Jay Parry as chief operating officer Apr 11
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22
- Lynx sign Czech guard Katerina Elhotova Feb 25