Sun outshine Mercury in OTAug 8, 2011 - 12:36 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Tina Charles sunk a mid-range jumper with five seconds remaining in overtime to lift the Connecticut Sun to a thrilling 96-95 victory over the Phoenix Mercury.
Renee Montgomery and Asjha Jones poured in 28 and 27 points, respectively, for the Sun, who downed the Mercury for the third straight time.
Charles finished with 23 points and 17 boards, marking her sixth consecutive double-double, which matches a league record she already shares with Taj McWilliams-Franklin.
Diana Taurasi scored a game-high 29 points, while DeWanna Bonner rose from the pine to net 24 for the Mercury, who fell for the fifth time in six games.
Connecticut held a 84-80 lead with 1:07 remaining in regulation, but Candice Dupree's layup made it a one possession game.
Still, the Sun appeared in control, holding possession with 3.9 seconds remaining. Taurasi stole an inbounds pass, however, and hit a streaking Bonner for the game-tying layup.
Charles' only bucket of overtime was the game-winner, while Montgomery tallied six points on 2-of-3 shooting, including 2-of-2 from downtown, in the extra frame.
- CONNECTICUT: 96
Final - OT
Aug 7 8:13 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 41
Aug 7 6:57 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Aug 7 6:09 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- WNBA hires Jay Parry as chief operating officer Apr 11
- Phoenix Mercury bring back Penny Taylor Feb 8
- Connecticut trades Williams to Dream for No. 4 draft pick Feb 3