Mercury rise above StormAug 17, 2011 - 4:19 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Diana Taurasi's bank shot with 6.3 seconds left in regulation lifted Phoenix over Seattle by an 81-79 count in WNBA action from US Airways Center.
Taurasi finished with a game-high 24 points with five rebounds and four assists, while Penny Taylor and Candice Dupree added 16 points apiece for the Mercury, who have won three of four.
Sue Bird led the Storm with 23 points, but it wasn't enough to prevent their fourth loss in five. Katie Smith and Camille Little both poured in 16 points and Swin Cash ripped down a game-best 15 rebounds in defeat.
Little gave Seattle a 79-77 edge with 1:47 on the clock, then Taurasi and Cash both missed on successive possessions.
Taylor assisted on DeWanna Bonner's layup with 30.7 seconds to play, then Bird turned the ball over to Taurasi, leading to the deciding bucket.
- SEATTLE: 79
Aug 17 12:03 AM
- SEATTLE: 43
Aug 16 10:59 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Aug 16 10:09 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- Bye bye Birdie? Storm's Sue Bird not ready to walk away yet May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Breanna Stewart at center of the Storm as latest No. 1 pick Apr 21
- Breanna Stewart top pick in WNBA, leading 1-2-3 UConn sweep Apr 15
- UConn forward Breanna Stewart selected No. 1 overall by Seattle Storm in WNBA draft Apr 14
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14