Silver Stars knock off ShockMay 20, 2012 - 3:03 AM Tulsa, OK (Sports Network) - Sophia Young poured in 20 points and ripped down 13 rebounds as the San Antonio Silver Stars topped the Tulsa Shock, 88-79, in the season opener for both teams.
Becky Hammon netted 17 points and dished out nine assists, while Shameka Christon added 16 points off the bench for San Antonio, which finished fourth in the Western Conference last season at 18-16 and lost in the semifinals to the eventual champion Minnesota Lynx. Danielle Robinson chipped in with 11 points in the victory.
Temeka Johnson dropped in a game-high 21 points and handed out nine assists and Ivory Lotta added 14 points in just over 20 minutes off the bench for Tulsa, which finished last season with a league-worst 3-31 mark. Riquna Williams chipped in with 12 points and Glory Johnson donated 11 points in defeat.
With the game tied at 79 and 1:37 to play, San Antonio iced the game by scoring the final nine points of the contest to secure the victory.
The Silver Stars shot an efficient 55.4 percent overall and pulled out the victory despite turning the ball over 24 times.
- SAN ANTONIO: 88
May 19 10:16 PM
- SAN ANTONIO: 38
May 19 9:01 PM
- SAN ANTONIO: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
May 19 8:09 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- WNBA's Dan Hughes enters last season as San Antonio coach May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- WNBA in Big D: Wings land in Dallas, league's 1st team there May 10
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- LA Sparks guard Riquna Williams to miss season with injury Mar 30
- Sparks acquire Riquna Williams from Wings for Phillips Mar 1
- WNBA star Tamika Catchings interns at NBA offices Feb 6