Shock start fast, hold off Sun lateJun 10, 2007 - 9:31 PM UNCASVILLE, Connecticut (Ticker) -- The Detroit Shock jumped out fast on the Connecticut Sun and held on late for a 79-74 victory on Sunday.
The Shock (6-0) opened a 28-13 lead after the first quarter, then had to hold off a late charge by the Sun which knotted the score at 71 with under three minutes left.
Detroit responded with a pair of free throws by Swin Cash and a three-pointer by Katie Smith in the final minute to regain control of the game.
Smith led Detroit with 23 points. Cheryl Ford added 20 points and 13 rebounds, while Cash chipped in with 11 points.
The Sun (4-3) were paced by Asjha Jones, who scored 20 points. Lindsay Whalen added 19 points, and Margo Dydek finished with 11.
Connecticut leading scorer Katie Douglas was held to four points, more than 13 below her average.
CONNECTICUT 74 FINAL
Jun 10 5:10 PM
CONNECTICUT 48 END, 3RD QTR
Jun 10 4:35 PM
HALFTIME 1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH TOTAL
--- --- --- --- -----
DETROIT 28 9 37
CONNECTICUT 13 17 30 HALFTIME
WNBA DETROIT AT CONNECTICUT
HIGH SCORERS AT HALFTIME
DET - CHERYL FORD 13, SWIN CASH 7, KATIE SMITH
CON - LINDSAY WHALEN 9, ASJHA JONES 8, MARGO
Jun 10 4:00 PM
CONNECTICUT 13 END, 1ST QTR
Jun 10 3:30 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- Connecticut trades Williams to Dream for No. 4 draft pick Feb 3
- Connecticut Sun hire Curt Miller as new coach Dec 17
- AP source: Curt Miller to coach Connecticut Sun Dec 16
- Anne Donovan resigns as head coach of Connecticut Sun Oct 1
- Liberty shot-blocker Stokes contender for rookie of year Sep 18
- WNBA Capsules Sep 13
- Bone leads Sun over Sky 86-75; Delle Donne scoring champ Sep 13
- Sky-Sun Preview Sep 12