Nolan, Ford help Shock remain undefeatedJun 16, 2007 - 3:19 AM AUBURN HILLS, Michigan (Ticker) -- Deanna Nolan scored 18 points and Cheryl Ford added 14 and 16 rebounds as the Detroit Shock remained unbeaten with a 75-72 victory over the Connecticut Sun on Friday.
Kara Braxton had 14 and seven boards and Swin Cash chipped in with 11 and 11 for the Shock (7-0), who shot 36 percent (26-of-71) from the field and overcame 21 turnovers.
Connecticut used an impressive 9-1 surge to grab a 67-61 advantage with 2:53 remaining in the fourth quarter. However, Detroit responded with a 7-1 run capped by Plenette Pierson's three-point play to regain the lead at 71-68 with 52 seconds left.
After trading baskets, Lindsay Whalen scored on a driving layup to help the Sun close within one point. But Detroit's Katie Smith sank a pair of free throws to provide a 75-72 edge.
Connecticut (4-5) had one last chance to send the game to overtime, but Katie Douglas misfired on a 3-pointer as time expired.
Nykesha Sales scored 18 points and Whalen added 16 for the Sun, who shot 40 percent (27-of-67) and committed 19 turnovers.
DETROIT 75 FINAL
Jun 15 9:38 PM
DETROIT 56 END, 3RD QTR
Jun 15 9:02 PM
DETROIT 37 HALFTIME
Jun 15 8:25 PM
DETROIT 18 END, 1ST QTR
Jun 15 7:55 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- Connecticut trades Williams to Dream for No. 4 draft pick Feb 3
- Connecticut Sun hire Curt Miller as new coach Dec 17
- AP source: Curt Miller to coach Connecticut Sun Dec 16
- Anne Donovan resigns as head coach of Connecticut Sun Oct 1
- Liberty shot-blocker Stokes contender for rookie of year Sep 18
- WNBA Capsules Sep 13
- Bone leads Sun over Sky 86-75; Delle Donne scoring champ Sep 13
- Sky-Sun Preview Sep 12