Whalen carries Sun past MonarchsJul 13, 2007 - 4:38 AM SACRAMENTO, California (Ticker) -- Lindsay Whalen scored eight of her 22 points in overtime as the Connecticut Sun rallied for an 82-78 triumph over the Sacramento Monarchs on Thursday night.
Nykesha Sales netted 23 points and Margo Dydek collected 10, nine rebounds and six blocks for the Sun, who shot 46 percent (30-of-64) from the field and survived 18 turnovers.
In the extra session, Whalen made a pair of free throws and connected on a 16-footer over a defender with 52 seconds left to give Connecticut the lead for good at 75-72.
Whalen, who handed out eight assists, also sent the contest to overtime when she took a pass from Sales for a driving layup with four seconds remaining in regulation.
Adrian Williams and Nicole Powell each scored 15 points for the Monarchs, who shot 38 percent (29-of-76) and committed 18 turnovers.
SACRAMENTO 78 FINAL IN 1ST OT
Jul 13 12:27 AM
SACRAMENTO 67 END OF 4TH QTR GOING INTO OVERTIME
Jul 13 12:06 AM
SACRAMENTO 49 END, 3RD QTR
Jul 12 11:31 PM
SACRAMENTO 30 HALFTIME
Jul 12 10:52 PM
SACRAMENTO 19 END, 1ST QTR
Jul 12 10:26 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- Connecticut trades Williams to Dream for No. 4 draft pick Feb 3
- Connecticut Sun hire Curt Miller as new coach Dec 17
- AP source: Curt Miller to coach Connecticut Sun Dec 16
- Anne Donovan resigns as head coach of Connecticut Sun Oct 1
- Liberty shot-blocker Stokes contender for rookie of year Sep 18
- WNBA Capsules Sep 13
- Bone leads Sun over Sky 86-75; Delle Donne scoring champ Sep 13
- Sky-Sun Preview Sep 12