Thorn's last-second shot lifts Liberty past ShockAug 12, 2007 - 10:17 PM NEW YORK (Ticker) -- Erin Thorn kept the New York Liberty playoffs hopes alive with one shot.
Thorn hit the game-winning shot at the buzzer as the Liberty rallied to end the Detroit Shock's six-game winning streak, 85-84, on Sunday.
New York (13-18) pulled within one game of Washington (14-16) for the fourth and final postseason spot in the Eastern Conference. The Mystics played at Sacramento later Sunday.
In the fourth quarter, All-Star Deanna Nolan's 15-footer helped Detroit grabbed an 84-78 advantage at the 2:12 mark.
However, the Liberty refused to throw in the towel as Ashley Battle drained a 3-pointer and Catherine Kraayeveld scored on a layup to draw within 84-83 with 41 seconds to go.
After two failed inbounds plays, Thorn received a pass with three seconds left and fired an off-balanced shot that bounced on the rim before falling in at the horn.
Tiffany Jackson lead the charge 16 points off the bench while Thorn netted 13 for New York.
Nolan scored 19 points and Katie Feenstra collected 16 and 13 rebounds for Detroit, which secured home-court advantage through the playoffs with Saturday's win.
NEW YORK 85 FINAL
Aug 12 5:59 PM
NEW YORK 64 END, 3RD QTR
Aug 12 5:29 PM
NEW YORK 49 HALFTIME
Aug 12 4:55 PM
NEW YORK 32 END, 1ST QTR
Aug 12 4:32 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- NY Liberty acquire Wings' Amanda Zahui B for draft pick May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22
- Fever sign Pohlen, Wheeler to training camp deals Feb 8
- New York Liberty sign free agent Shavonte Zellous Feb 1
- WNBA free agency begins, Liberty signs Indiana guard Zellous Feb 1
- Epiphanny Prince has surgery for torn ACL Dec 9