McCarville, Liberty rally surge past ShockSep 27, 2008 - 1:52 AM NEW YORK (Ticker) -- Janel McCarville scored 17 points and Shameka Christon added 11 and 11 rebounds as the New York Liberty defeated the Detroit Shock, 60-56, in Game One of the Eastern Conference finals on Friday.
Game Two in the best-of-three series will take place on Sunday at Detroit.
The Shock trailed, 59-56, with under 15 seconds to play but had a chance to tie the game.
Deanna Nolan, who led the Shock with 22 points, got a good look from the top of the arc, but her shot bounced off the front rim and the loose ball ended up going out of bounds to the Liberty.
With six seconds left, Erin Thorn made one free throw to seal the victory for New York, which outscored Detroit 24-14 in the fourth quarter to rally for the win.
The Shock held a 29-23 lead at the break and were up by as many as nine late in the third quarter.
New York used a 12-1 run - keyed by five points from Ashley Battle - to take a 45-43 edge with 5:29 to play. It was the Liberty's first lead since they were in front, 8-7, in the first quarter, and New York never trailed again.
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- NY Liberty acquire Wings' Amanda Zahui B for draft pick May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22
- Fever sign Pohlen, Wheeler to training camp deals Feb 8
- New York Liberty sign free agent Shavonte Zellous Feb 1
- WNBA free agency begins, Liberty signs Indiana guard Zellous Feb 1
- Epiphanny Prince has surgery for torn ACL Dec 9