Carroll lifts Twins over BoSox in 10 inningsAug 4, 2012 - 3:56 AM
With Vicente Padilla (4-1) on the mound, Darin Mastroianni led off with a double that dropped between right and center. Brian Dozier attempted a bunt, but popped it into foul territory down the third base side and Will Middlebrooks made a nice diving grab, but Carroll then dropped a single into center for the go-ahead run.
Jared Burton then worked a 1-2-3 bottom of the 10th for his fourth save of the season.
Carroll made a winner out of Jeff Gray (6-1), who got the final out of the eighth to escape a bases-loaded game then worked a scoreless ninth.
Justin Morneau went 4-for-4 with two RBI and a run scored while Carroll also had four hits for the Twins, who have taken the first two of this set and have won six of eight overall.
Carl Crawford went 3-for-5 with a three-run home run and two runs scored and Adrian Gonzalez also drove in a run and scored once for the Red Sox, who have dropped three straight.
"We just couldn't find the bats when we needed them tonight," said Boston manager Bobby Valentine. "We'll come back out and get them tomorrow, just had some misses there."
Minnesota got on the scoreboard in the second inning as Morneau led off with a double and later scored on a Mastroianni single, but the Sox got it back in the bottom half as Crawford doubled with two outs and Kelly Shoppach followed with an RBI single.
A four-run third saw Boston go ahead. Dustin Pedroia, Cody Ross and Gonzalez all singled to push one across. After the next two batters recorded outs, Crawford deposited a pitch into the bullpen in right for his third homer of the year and a 5-1 lead.
Minnesota, though, answered in the fifth to tie the game. With the bases loaded and one out, Josh Willingham walked to force in one run. Morneau followed with a two-run single and Danny Valencia's sacrifice fly made it a 5-5 game.
Boston loaded the bases with one out in the eighth, but the Minnesota bullpen did its job as Tyler Robertson struck out Jacoby Ellsbury and Gray got Pedroia to fly out and end the frame.
Minnesota starter Brian Duensing went six innings and gave up five runs -- two earned -- on 10 hits while Felix Doubront lasted five innings for Boston and was charged with five runs on eight hits.
In a pre-game ceremony, Marty Barrett, Ellis Burks, Joe Dobson, Hubert "Dutch" Leonard, Curt Schilling, Joe Mooney and John I. Taylor were inducted into the Red Sox Hall of Fame...Boston batted just 3-for-14 with runners in scoring position and left 10 while Minnesota was 3-for-13 with RISP and left 11...Minnesota's Ben Revere went 2-for-6 with a run scored to extend his career-high hitting streak to 17 games. He is 25-for-72 during the run. Denard Span, though, went 0-for-6 and had his 11-game hit streak snapped.
- MINNESOTA: 6
Aug 3 11:22 PM
- Jamey Carroll single to center scored Darin Mastroianni. Runner on first with one out and Denard Span due up.
Twins 6, Red Sox 5 Top 10, 1 OutAug 3 11:06 PM
- Will Middlebrooks fouled out to first to end the inning.
Twins 5, Red Sox 5 End 5Aug 3 9:12 PM
- Justin Morneau single to center scored Ben Revere and Joe Mauer. On the play, Josh Willingham advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Danny Valencia due up.
Twins 4, Red Sox 5 Top 5, 1 OutAug 3 9:00 PM
- Josh Willingham walked Denard Span scored on the play. Bases loaded with one out and Justin Morneau due up.
Twins 2, Red Sox 5 Top 5, 1 OutAug 3 8:56 PM
- Carl Crawford two-out, three-run Home Run (3) to right scored Cody Ross and Adrian Gonzalez. Kelly Shoppach due up.
Twins 1, Red Sox 5 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 3 8:25 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez single to left scored Dustin Pedroia. On the play, Cody Ross advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Ryan Lavarnway due up.
Twins 1, Red Sox 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsAug 3 8:17 PM
- Kelly Shoppach single to center scored Carl Crawford. Runner on first with two outs and Mike Aviles due up.
Twins 1, Red Sox 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 3 7:57 PM
- Darin Mastroianni single to center scored Justin Morneau. Runner on first with one out and Brian Dozier due up.
Twins 1, Red Sox 0 Top 2, 1 OutAug 3 7:41 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 3 7:13 PM
- Dunn, White Sox hand Boston's Lester first loss 1:30a
- Teheran, Braves stifle Twins 12:31a
- Bailey returns for BoSox 4:25p
- Twins hope to recover in rare trip to Atlanta Mon
- Lester carries unblemished record into the Windy City Mon
- Red Sox finish off sweep of Twins Mon
- Red Sox shoot for fifth straight win and sweep of Twins Sun
- Ortiz clubs two homers as Red Sox pound Twins Sun
- Twins hope for some home cooking versus Red Sox Sat
- Gomes, Ellsbury help BoSox rally past Twins Sat
- Boston's Buchholz aims for win No. 7 against Twins Fri
- Red Sox rally in 9th to take series Fri