Lewis' 35-yard FG carries Destroyers past BlazeMar 22, 2008 - 6:29 AM SALT LAKE CITY (Ticker) -- Kicker Mark Lewis hit the game-winning 35-yard field goal to lift the Columbus Destroyers to a 52-49 victory over the Utah Blaze on Friday.
Huey Whitaker's 4-yard touchdown run put Utah (0-3) ahead, 49-42 with 8:19 remaining in the fourth quarter. However, Matt Nagy tied the game with his 17-yard TD pass to Rasheed Marshall at the 3:36 mark.
After stopping Utah on a 4th-and-3 attempt, Harold Wells gained five yards on two carries to help set up Lewis' late-game heroics.
Nagy went 17-of-29 for 188 yards with three touchdowns and Wells found the end zone twice for the Destroyers, who scored 18 points in the fourth to complete the come-from-behind victory.
Joe Germaine finished 28-of-47 for 298 yards with six TDs and Whitaker caught 12 passes for 131 yards and three scores for the Blaze, who held a 35-20 advantage at intermission.
- Blaze name AFL veteran new coach Jan 26
- Dutton leads Crush over Blaze Jun 28
- Blaze conclude season on high note, stomp Rattlers Jun 22
- Philyaw fuels Gladiators past Destroyers Jun 22
- MacPherson propels Rampage past Destroyers Jun 15
- Germaine sparks Blaze to win over Avengers Jun 10
- Greisen leads Force to sixth straight win Jun 8
- Germaine ignites Blaze past Rampage Jun 1
- Wimprine vaults VooDoo past Destroyers May 31
- Videtich's last-second kick helps Blaze edge Rush May 25
- Nagy uses arm, legs to help Destroyers upend Dragons May 24
- Grieb powers SaberCats past Blaze May 18