On the Brink: Winnipeg rallies to down BCJul 29, 2011 - 3:56 AM
Pierce, facing his former team, was knocked out of the game late in the third quarter after taking a helmet-on-helmet hit from defensive tackle Aaron Hunt during a scramble up the middle. Brink, who played college ball at Washington State, had his first CFL TD pass.
The Blue Bombers took to the field just two days after the death of assistant head coach and defensive line coach Richard Harris, who passed away due to a heart attack on Tuesday.
"It's been an emotional two days, I know our players are drained, I know I am absolutely drained," Blue Bombers coach Paul LaPolice said. "I was happy we were on defense to win the game. We had help."
Harris' wife, Tami, was in the locker room after the contest and received the game ball from LaPolice.
Pierce ended 11-of-18 for 206 yards and a TD, but he was sacked four times. Still, the Blue Bombers (4-1) are off to their best start since the 2003 season. Pierce was diagnosed with a lower body injury and left for precautionary reasons.
Justin Palardy kicked four field goals in the win.
Travis Lulay went 16-of-31 for 195 yards through the air for the Lions (0-5), who are winless after five games for the first time since 1996.
The Blue Bombers held a 19-14 lead going to the fourth quarter, but Paul McCallum kicked field goals of 37 and 46 yards, ultimately putting the visitors ahead by a point midway through the period.
Brink later scrambled up the middle on a designed quarterback draw for 15 yards, putting the ball at the BC 24. Two plays later he found Edwards alone in the end zone for the go-ahead score. The two-point conversion pass was knocked down.
Lulay threw incomplete on third down inside Winnipeg territory, but the Blue Bombers were forced to punt the ball back. Still, it was not enough for the Lions as they only got to midfield before a last-second pass went awry.
McCallum and Palardy exchanged field goals in the opening quarter and the Lions got the game's first major in the second on a six-yard run by Jamal Robertson.
McCallum's 40-yard field goal staked the Lions to a 13-6 lead at the half. Pierce found Clarence Denmark for an 82-yard score in the opening minute of the third and Palardy kicked two field goals, helping Winnipeg to the five- point lead going to the fourth.
Tim Brown rushed nine times for 74 yards for BC, while teammate Shawn Gore caught seven balls for 83 yards...Fred Reid had 13 rushes for 53 yards for the Bombers, who also got six catches for 70 yards from Corey Watson.
- BC: 20
Jul 28 10:56 PM
- BC: 20
End of Regulation
Jul 28 10:56 PM
- Winnipeg Touchdown - Alex Brink pass to Terrence Edwards for 22 yards.
Lions 20, Blue Bombers 25 4th - 3:54Jul 28 10:36 PM
- Brt Columbia Field Goal - 46-yarder by Paul McCallum.
Lions 20, Blue Bombers 19 4th - 8:02Jul 28 10:31 PM
- Brt Columbia Field Goal - 37-yarder by Paul McCallum.
Lions 17, Blue Bombers 19 4th - 13:22Jul 28 10:16 PM
- BC: 14
End of 3rd
Jul 28 10:11 PM
- Winnipeg Field Goal - 23-yarder by Justin Palardy.
Lions 14, Blue Bombers 19 3rd - 1:04Jul 28 10:09 PM
- Winnipeg Single - 48-yarder by Paul McCallum.
Lions 14, Blue Bombers 16 3rd - 4:45Jul 28 10:00 PM
- Winnipeg Field Goal - 38-yarder by Justin Palardy.
Lions 13, Blue Bombers 16 3rd - 11:14Jul 28 9:46 PM
- Justin Palardy extra point is good.
Lions 13, Blue Bombers 13 3rd - 14:17Jul 28 9:39 PM
- Winnipeg Touchdown - Buck Pierce pass to Clarence Denmark for 83 yards.
Lions 13, Blue Bombers 12 3rd - 14:26Jul 28 9:39 PM
- BC: 13
Jul 28 9:22 PM
- Paul McCallum extra point is good.
Lions 10, Blue Bombers 6 2nd - 3:13Jul 28 9:03 PM
- Brt Columbia Touchdown - Jamal Robertson up the middle for 5 yards.
Lions 9, Blue Bombers 6 2nd - 3:32Jul 28 9:03 PM
- Winnipeg Field Goal - 19-yarder by Justin Palardy.
Lions 3, Blue Bombers 6 2nd - 6:33Jul 28 8:57 PM
- BC: 3
End of 1st
Jul 28 8:40 PM
- Winnipeg Field Goal - 41-yarder by Justin Palardy.
Lions 3, Blue Bombers 3 1st - 0:30Jul 28 8:38 PM
- Brt Columbia Field Goal - 25-yarder by Paul McCallum.
Lions 3, Blue Bombers 0 1st - 3:12Jul 28 8:32 PM
- BC: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Jul 28 8:09 PM
- Bombers tangle with Tiger-Cats Jul 1
- Harris, Fuller, Willy named top performers for Week 1 Jun 30
- Blue Bombers down Roughriders Jun 27
- Roughriders host Blue Bombers to open new season Jun 24
- Blue Bombers extend QB Willy May 1
- Owners of Bombers' stadium suing architect, builder Mar 4
- Bombers bring back Brohm Feb 17
- Bombers' Renaud calls it a career Feb 5
- Riders pick up Watson from Bombers Jan 29
- Bombers name Hall defensive coordinator Jan 20
- Lions introduce Tedford as new head coach Dec 19
- Bombers sign Leggett to extension Dec 8