De La Rosa, Helton lift Rockies over CubsApr 27, 2011 - 5:57 AM
De La Rosa (4-0) struck out nine batters and allowed two runs -- one earned -- on six hits for the Rockies, who posted a 5-3 win over the Cubs on Monday. Ty Wigginton had a solo shot and finished 3-for-4 at the plate in the win.
Alfonso Soriano hit a leadoff homer in the ninth to make the game interesting for the Cubs, who inevitably dropped their third straight game.
James Russell (1-3) only lasted four-plus innings for Chicago, allowing four runs on five hits to get the loss.
Troy Tulowitzki's two-out RBI double in the third tied the game at two apiece. Colorado then went back on top in the fourth after Wigginton's leadoff shot.
The Rockies got a much-needed insurance run, 4-2, in the next inning on Helton's second empty-base homer of the game.
The score remained that way until the bottom of the ninth when Soriano ripped a leadoff homer off Huston Street into the left field seats. The closer, though, settled down and retired the next three batters to get his ninth save of the season.
Colorado got on board during its first at-bat on Helton's solo shot to right- center.
"When [Russell] makes a mistake, they don't miss it very often," Cubs manager Mike Quade said.
The Cubs, though, put up two runs during the bottom of the first. Starlin Castro and Darwin Barney each had singles to start the inning. The next two batters were retired, but Jeff Baker singled to plate Castro. Chicago took a 2-1 lead on Tulowitzki's fielding error, which allowed Barney to come home.
"I felt much better after the [first] inning. I kept the ball down the rest of the game," De La Rosa said.
The Rockies improved to 10-3 on the road. They have tied the franchise's best road start with the 2006 club...With the win, Colorado has won three of their four series on the road this season.
- COLORADO: 4
Apr 26 10:59 PM
- Alfonso Soriano lead-off Home Run (7) to left. Reed Johnson due up.
Rockies 4, Cubs 3 Bot 9, 0 OutsApr 26 10:54 PM
- Todd Helton lead off Home Run 2 (3) to center. Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Rockies 4, Cubs 2 Top 5, 0 OutsApr 26 9:39 PM
- Ty Wigginton lead-off Home Run (2) to left. Ryan Spilborghs due up.
Rockies 3, Cubs 2 Top 4, 0 OutsApr 26 9:13 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki doubled to center scoring Dexter Fowler. Runner on second with two outs and Jose Lopez due up.
Rockies 2, Cubs 2 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 26 9:01 PM
- Geovany Soto reached first on Troy Tulowitzki's fielding error scoring Darwin Barney. Runners on first and second with two outs and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Rockies 1, Cubs 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 26 8:31 PM
- Jeff Baker singled to right scoring Starlin Castro. Runners on first and third with two outs and Geovany Soto due up.
Rockies 1, Cubs 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 26 8:29 PM
- Todd Helton two-out, solo Home Run (2) to right center. Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Rockies 1, Cubs 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 26 8:10 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 26 8:06 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21