Royals bash TigersJul 10, 2011 - 3:31 AM
Melky Cabrera and Billy Butler each knocked in a pair of runs for the Royals, who had lost the first two games of the four-game series by two runs each.
Greg Holland (3-1) got the win, tossing 2 1/3 scoreless innings of relief for KC. He allowed just two hits and struck out two while starter Luke Hochevar was roughed up for six runs on nine hits over 3 2/3 innings.
"Something's happening. My focus, my approach and my execution, I think, really doesn't waver," Hochevar said of his rough outing. "So something's happening, whether it's my mixture, falling into patterns or whatever it is, there's something there and I need to figure it out."
Brennan Boesch had a pair of RBI for Detroit, which had a three-game win streak snapped.
Detroit pitching was far from impressive after giving up 13 runs -- only five earned -- on 12 hits and five walks. Starter Charlie Furbush (1-3) was charged with the loss in his second start of the season, lasting just 2 2/3 innings. He allowed nine runs -- four earned -- on nine hits.
"It's a tough one," Furbush said. "You've just got to tip your cap. They got some hits that found holes and playing some good baseball. You can't do much about it."
The offensive outburst started right from the beginning with 15 runs scored in the first 3 1/2 innings.
Eric Hosmer grounded into a force out with the bases loaded to score Cabrera for the first run of the game in the opening frame.
During the second inning, Escobar's groundout scored Wilson Betemit. Later in the inning, the Royals scored a pair of runs off of Butler's two-out single for a 4-0 lead.
The Tigers halved the deficit during the next inning when Ryan Raburn led off with a double and scored on Boesch's single. Miguel Cabrera followed that up with an RBI base knock.
But the Royals regained a comfortable lead during the bottom half after Chris Getz and Melky Cabrera had back-to-back RBI singles to set up Gordon's three- run bomb to center that pushed the lead to 9-2.
Detroit did go away, though, as it tallied four runs during the fourth to cut it to a three-run game.
With the bases loaded, Andy Dirks lined out to short for the second out of the game. On the play, though, Don Kelly scored on Escobar's throwing error on the double-play attempt. That kept the inning going as Ramon Santiago and Boesch each had RBI singles. Miguel Cabrera walked to fill the bases once again and set up Victor Martinez's walk that forced Santiago home.
Runs kept pouring in for the Royals while Detroit stopped altogether. Melky Cabrera slapped run-scoring grounder up the middle in the fifth, and Matt Treanor launched a sac fly in the sixth. During the same inning, Escobar drilled a two-run triple to push the lead to 13-6.
Detroit fell to 5-3 against the Royals this season...KC's top four hitters combined for nine hits and eight RBI...The Royals were 8-for-17 with runners in scoring position and left six men on base...Detroit left eight men on base and was 5-for-15 with runners in scoring position.
- DETROIT: 6
KANSAS CITY: 13
Jul 9 10:35 PM
- Chris Getz flied out to left to end the inning.
Tigers 6, Royals 13 End 6Jul 9 10:04 PM
- Matt Treanor sacrifice fly to right scored Billy Butler with two out. On the play, Jeff Francoeur advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Alcides Escobar due up.
Tigers 6, Royals 11 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 9 10:00 PM
- Melky Cabrera single to center scored Alcides Escobar with one out. On the play, Melky Cabrera advanced to second as Chris Getz was tug out between second and third. Runner on second with two outs and Alex Gordon due up.
Tigers 6, Royals 10 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 9 9:34 PM
- Eric Hosmer grounded out short to first. None on with one out and Jeff Francoeur due up.
Tigers 6, Royals 9 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 9 9:05 PM
- Brennan Boesch single to left scored Ryan Raburn with two out. On the play, Ramon Santiago advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Miguel Cabrera due up.
Tigers 5, Royals 9 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 9 8:50 PM
- Alex Gordon two-out, three-run Home Run (11) to center scored Chris Getz and Melky Cabrera. Billy Butler due up.
Tigers 2, Royals 9 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 9 8:30 PM
- Melky Cabrera single to center scored Alcides Escobar with two out. On the play, Chris Getz advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Alex Gordon due up.
Tigers 2, Royals 6 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 9 8:29 PM
- Chris Getz single to right scored Matt Treanor with two out. On the play, Alcides Escobar advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Melky Cabrera due up.
Tigers 2, Royals 5 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 9 8:27 PM
- Miguel Cabrera single to center scored Andy Dirks with two out. On the play, Brennan Boesch advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Victor Martinez due up.
Tigers 2, Royals 4 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 9 8:14 PM
- Brennan Boesch single to center scored Ryan Raburn with two out. On the play, Andy Dirks advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Miguel Cabrera due up.
Tigers 1, Royals 4 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 9 8:13 PM
- Billy Butler single to left scored Alcides Escobar and Chris Getz with two out. On the play, Alex Gordon advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Eric Hosmer due up.
Tigers 0, Royals 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 9 8:04 PM
- Alcides Escobar reached first on a fielder's choice to short, scoring Wilson Betemit. Matt Treanor out at second. Runner on first with one out and Chris Getz due up.
Tigers 0, Royals 2 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 9 7:48 PM
- Miguel Cabrera struck out swinging. None on with one out and Victor Martinez due up.
Tigers 0, Royals 1 Top 2, 1 OutJul 9 7:33 PM
- DETROIT: 0
KANSAS CITY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 9 7:10 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22