Big fifth inning helps Reds pound PiratesApr 16, 2011 - 9:49 PM
Drew Stubbs hit a two-run homer in the fifth while Jonny Gomes added two homers of his own for the Reds, who snapped a two-game slide.
Mike Leake (2-0) went six innings and was charged with just two runs on four hits with four walks and six strikeouts for the win.
Garrett Jones and Ronny Cedeno each drove in a run for the Pirates, who have lost five of six. James McDonald (0-1) gave up seven runs -- six earned -- on nine hits with a pair of walks and strikeouts over just 4 1/3 innings.
"He was battling out there and was hurrying too much," said Pittsburgh manager Clint Hurdle on McDonald. "There were times we needed him to slow down and make a pitch and he just couldn't get it done."
With the game tied at 2-2 in the fifth, the Reds surged ahead in the bottom of the frame.
With the bases loaded, Juan Francisco singled home a run and Hernandez followed with a shot over the left field wall. After Mike Crotta entered the game and got the second out of the inning, Leake singled and Stubbs followed with a homer to right for a 9-2 lead.
"I got a good look at it and was able to get a good swing on it," said Hernandez. "I just wanted to make sure I got it out of the infield so we could get some runs."
Gomes' two-run shot in the seventh gave the Reds an 11-2 edge and Pittsburgh was unable to cut into its deficit the rest of the way.
Gomes led off the second with a homer to left and Joey Votto gave his team a 2-0 lead with a single in the third.
Pittsburgh, though, tied the game in the fourth on a bases loaded walk by Jones and a sacrifice fly from Cedeno to make it a 2-2 contest.
Francisco left the game in the eighth inning with an undisclosed injury...It was the sixth grand slam of Hernandez's career...Jeff Karstens throws Sunday for Pittsburgh in the third contest of this four-game set and will be opposed by Edinson Volquez.
- PITTSBURGH: 2
Apr 16 4:10 PM
- Jonny Gomes none-out, two-run Home Run 2 (5) to left scored Joey Votto. Jay Bruce due up.
Pirates 2, Reds 11 Bot 6, 0 OutsApr 16 3:11 PM
- Drew Stubbs two-out, two-run Home Run (3) to right scored Mike Leake. Miguel Cairo due up.
Pirates 2, Reds 9 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 16 2:55 PM
- Ramon Hernandez one-out, Grand Slam (2) to left scored Joey Votto, Jay Bruce and Juan Francisco. Paul Janish due up.
Pirates 2, Reds 7 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 16 2:48 PM
- Juan Francisco singled to right scored Miguel Cairo. Bases loaded with one out and Ramon Hernandez due up.
Pirates 2, Reds 3 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 16 2:45 PM
- Ronny Cedeno sacrifice fly out to left scored Pedro Alvarez. On the play, Garrett Jones advances to second and Ryan Doumit advances to third on the throw. Runners on second and third and with two outs and James McDonald due up.
Pirates 2, Reds 2 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 16 2:19 PM
- Garrett Jones walk scored Neil Walker on the play. Bases loaded with one out and Ronny Cedeno due up.
Pirates 1, Reds 2 Top 4, 1 OutApr 16 2:15 PM
- Joey Votto singled to right scored Drew Stubbs. On the play, Votto advanced to second on the throw. Runner on second with two outs and Jonny Gomes due up.
Pirates 0, Reds 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 16 1:54 PM
- Jonny Gomes lead-off Home Run (4) to left. Jay Bruce due up.
Pirates 0, Reds 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsApr 16 1:34 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21