Billingsley helps his own cause as Dodgers beat RedsJun 6, 2011 - 12:44 AM Cincinnati, OH (Sports Network) - Chad Billingsley overcame a mediocre effort on the mound with a big day at the plate, going 2-for-2 with a home run and three RBI to carry the Dodgers to a series win over the Reds with Sunday's 9-6 victory.
"Anything I can do to make a difference in the outcome of a game, I try to do it," said Billingsley (5-4), who went the minimum five innings to earn the win, surrendering four runs on eight hits and three walks.
Matt Kemp added a two-run shot a day after his two-homer, six-RBI performance helped even the three-game set in an 11-8 comeback win in 11 innings.
Travis Wood (4-4) gave up a career-high eight runs on eight hits and five walks in 4 2/3 innings for the Reds, who have split the first six games of their nine-game homestand to remain at .500 for the season.
"I think we're a lot better than that. I should say I know we're a lot better than that," said Cincinnati's Chris Heisey. "We played better than that last year and I think we're going to continue finding ways to improve."
Brandon Phillips and Joey Votto each drove in two in a losing cause.
Cincinnati had the bases loaded and no outs in the ninth, but Josh Lindblom limited the damage to Heisey's sacrifice fly to seal the win.
The Dodgers knocked Wood around early and often. Jamey Carroll led off the game with a walk and later scored on Andre Ethier's sacrifice fly, and Kemp followed with his 16th home run of the year for a 3-0 cushion.
"I feel really good right now. I feel real comfortable. I think a lot of us are at the plate," Kemp said.
Drew Stubbs opened the bottom half with a long ball, only to get countered in the second by Billingsley, who took his counterpart over the wall in left on the 11th pitch of the at-bat for his second career homer.
Billingsley loaded the bases in the home turn and gave up a two-run single to Phillips before retiring the final two batters to maintain a 4-3 lead.
Wood couldn't keep the Reds close, yielding three more runs in the third on a two-RBI double to Rod Barajas and a bases-loaded walk to Billingsley.
Votto pulled the Reds within 7-4 with a run-scoring groundout in the fourth, but Billingsley got the run back in the fifth with an opposite-field double that one-hopped the wall in right and plated James Loney.
Jerry Sands' single to center scored Ethier in sixth, and Votto knocked in Phillips with a base hit to right in the bottom half.
John Ely, in his first career appearance out of the bullpen, allowed the latter run, then pitched the next two innings. He was pulled after giving up a leadoff walk in the ninth.
Wood was unbeaten in his previous six outings...The Dodgers left 14 runners on base to Cincinnati's 13...Paul Janish had three hits for Cincinnati...Over the last 15 games, the Reds bullpen has pitched 65 innings...The Reds host the Cubs to close their homestand, while the Dodgers head to Philadelphia to start a three-game series on Monday...Since 2006, the Dodgers are 28-10 against the Reds...Game time: 3:50.
- LOS ANGELES: 9
Jun 5 5:01 PM
- Chris Heisey sacrifice fly to right scored Ryan Hanigan. Runners on first and second with two outs and Drew Stubbs due up.
Dodgers 9, Reds 6 Bot 9, 2 OutsJun 5 4:58 PM
- Joey Votto single to right scored Brandon Phillips with one out. Runner on first with one out and Jay Bruce due up.
Dodgers 9, Reds 5 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 5 3:46 PM
- Jerry Sands single to center scored Andre Ethier with one out. On the play, Matt Kemp advances to third and Jerry Sands advances to second on the throw. Runners on second and third with one out and Rod Barajas due up.
Dodgers 9, Reds 4 Top 6, 1 OutJun 5 3:28 PM
- Chad Reineke enters the game for the Reds with a runner on second and two out.
Dodgers 8, Reds 4 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 5 2:58 PM
- Joey Votto groundout to first scored Drew Stubbs with two out. None on with two outs and Jay Bruce due up.
Dodgers 7, Reds 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 5 2:46 PM
- Chad Billingsley walk scored Casey Blake with two out. Bases loaded with two outs and Jamey Carroll due up.
Dodgers 7, Reds 3 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 5 2:17 PM
- Rod Barajas double to left scored Andre Ethier and Matt Kemp with two out. On the play, Casey Blake advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and James Loney due up.
Dodgers 6, Reds 3 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 5 2:13 PM
- Brandon Phillips single to center scored Paul Janish and Travis Wood with one out. On the play, Drew Stubbs advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Joey Votto due up.
Dodgers 4, Reds 3 Bot 2, 1 OutJun 5 1:56 PM
- Jamey Carroll struck out looking to end the inning.
Dodgers 4, Reds 1 Mid 2Jun 5 1:41 PM
- Drew Stubbs lead-off Home Run (8) to left center. Brandon Phillips due up.
Dodgers 3, Reds 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJun 5 1:21 PM
- Matt Kemp one-out, two-run Home Run (16) to left scored Aaron Miles. Casey Blake due up.
Dodgers 3, Reds 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 5 1:15 PM
- Andre Ethier sacrifice fly to left scored Jamey Carroll with one out. Runner on second with one out and Matt Kemp due up.
Dodgers 1, Reds 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 5 1:13 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 5 1:09 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22