Votto, Reds outslug OriolesJun 26, 2011 - 3:03 AM
Scott Rolen went 2-for-5 with a home run and two RBI for the Reds, who have won two of three.
Bronson Arroyo (7-6) earned the win despite giving up five runs on nine hits, including four home runs, in 6 1/3 innings.
Nick Markakis went 2-for-4 with a two-run homer and J.J. Hardy added two hits, including a solo home run for the Orioles, who have dropped three of four.
Brian Matusz (1-3) took the loss after giving up six runs on nine hits over 4 2/3 innings.
The clubs combined for nine home runs in the game.
Votto hit his second homer of the day -- and the 101st of his career -- in the fifth, a two-run shot that made it 6-4. It also scored Brandon Phillips, who had reached base with a leadoff double.
Cincinnati continued its assault by adding two more runs in the seventh. Votto walked with one out and Scott Rolen joined the home run parade with a two-run blast to give the Reds an 8-4 lead.
The Orioles cut the deficit to three runs in the bottom of the seventh after Hardy blasted a homer down the left field line.
But the red-hot Reds offense proved to be too much as they added two more runs in the eighth for their 10-5 lead. Drew Stubbs led off with a homer to center. Edgar Renteria then walked, moved to second on a Ryan Hanigan ground out and scored when Phillips singled up the middle.
Baltimore had jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the first after Adam Jones sent a hanging curveball over the right-center field wall.
Cincinnati answered back with a solo blast of its own in the top of the second. Jonny Gomes took advantage of a 2-0 fastball, roping it into the left field bleachers to tie the game.
The Reds took the lead on Votto's three-run shot to right-center in the third, his 100th career homer. Chris Heisey led off with a double down the left-field line before Phillips beat Hardy's throw from the outfield grass for a single. Votto worked a full-count before belting the payoff pitch into the stands.
The Orioles followed the longball theme with Markakis' two-run blast in the bottom of the third and Matt Wieters' solo-shot in the fourth.
Votto had the seventh multi-homer game of his career and upped his 2011 total to 11...Arroyo has surrendered 21 homers in 16 starts this season...All but one run scored in the game came on a homer...The Orioles fell to 5-6 in interleague action in 2011.
- CINCINNATI: 10
Jun 25 10:06 PM
- Joey Votto grounded out pitcher to first to end the inning.
Reds 10, Orioles 5 Mid 8Jun 25 9:42 PM
- Edgar Renteria walked. Runner on first with none out and Ryan Hanigan due up.
Reds 9, Orioles 5 Top 8, 0 OutsJun 25 9:33 PM
- J.J. Hardy one-out, solo Home Run (10) to left. Nick Markakis due up.
Reds 8, Orioles 5 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 25 9:21 PM
- Scott Rolen one-out, two-run Home Run (4) to left scored Joey Votto. Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 8, Orioles 4 Top 7, 1 OutJun 25 9:14 PM
- Joey Votto none-out, two-run Home Run 2 (11) to right center scored Brandon Phillips. Scott Rolen due up.
Reds 6, Orioles 4 Top 5, 0 OutsJun 25 8:31 PM
- Matt Wieters one-out, solo Home Run (7) to center. Mark Reynolds due up.
Reds 4, Orioles 4 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 25 8:18 PM
- Nick Markakis none-out, two-run Home Run (6) to right center scored J.J. Hardy. Adam Jones due up.
Reds 4, Orioles 3 Bot 3, 0 OutsJun 25 7:58 PM
- Joey Votto none-out, three-run Home Run (10) to right center scored Chris Heisey and Brandon Phillips. Scott Rolen due up.
Reds 4, Orioles 1 Top 3, 0 OutsJun 25 7:50 PM
- Jonny Gomes one-out, solo Home Run (10) to left. Drew Stubbs due up.
Reds 1, Orioles 1 Top 2, 1 OutJun 25 7:30 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero singled to pitcher. Runner on first with two outs and Luke Scott due up.
Reds 0, Orioles 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 25 7:21 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 25 7:06 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21