Red Sox use eight-run eighth to down O'sJul 19, 2011 - 5:21 AM
Boston exploded for eight runs in the eighth inning to break a tie in decisive fashion, and beat the Orioles 15-10 in the opener of a three-game series at Camden Yards.
Dustin Pedroia keyed the rally with a two-run double, while Kevin Youkilis hit a two-run single and Carl Crawford, fresh off the disabled list, added an RBI single. Darnell McDonald capped the inning with a three-run double to help the Red Sox win for the 13th time in their last 15 contests.
"We didn't have much sleep but we came out and swung the bats good," said Pedroia. "It was nice to get all those runs and we're happy with the win. Now we get to go home and get some rest."
Boston was coming off a 1-0 extra-inning victory against the Rays, a game that went well into early Monday morning.
Mike Gonzalez (1-2), Mark Worrell and Chris Jakubauskas were responsible for all the runs as Baltimore had a two-game winning streak broken.
Baltimore held a 7-6 lead after five innings, but Youkilis evened the game with an RBI single in the seventh. The Red Sox took control in the next inning.
Gonzalez retired the first batter, but walked McDonald, gave up a single to Marco Scutaro and walked Jacoby Ellsbury to load the bases.
Baltimore brought in Worrell, whose contract was selected from Triple-A on Monday. The right-hander struggled in his first major league appearance since 2008, facing three batters without retiring any.
Pedroia drove his go-ahead double to right field before Worrell intentionally walked Adrian Gonzalez to load the bases. But Youkilis lined a single back up the middle to plate two more and make it 11-7.
Jakubauskas came in and walked Josh Reddick to fill the bases for Crawford, who had been out since June 18 with a hamstring strain before being activated Monday. The left fielder singled to right, and two batters later McDonald blew the game apart with a bases-clearing double to left.
The Orioles scored three times in the bottom half but couldn't make up the difference. Dan Wheeler (2-1) took the victory after throwing 2 1/3 scoreless innings on a night when much of Boston's bullpen was unavailable.
"He comes in and shuts it down for a while, that gave us a chance," Red Sox manager Terry Francona said. "He really threw the ball well."
Red Sox starter Tim Wakefield, who didn't make it through the fifth and put Boston at a disadvantage in the first inning, when Derrek Lee smacked a two- run triple to center. It was about a foot away from being a home run, but bounced high off the wall and gave the Orioles a 2-0 lead.
The Red Sox's relentless offense quickly turned the game around for Wakefield, plating three runs in the third after keying on the pitches of Baltimore starter Brad Bergesen.
Jarrod Saltalamacchia opened the inning with a home run, and Scutaro and Ellsbury hit back-to-back line drive singles. Pedroia's soft grounder made its way through the left side of the infield, plating a run and extending his hitting streak to 16 games. Ellsbury scored on Gonzalez's single to left.
In the next inning, Crawford singled and scored from second when Scutaro's grounder to first skipped under Lee's legs.
Ellsbury's sacrifice fly to left extended the advantage to 5-2, and Boston tacked on another run when Reddick homered off the right field foul pole in the fifth.
"There was some tough ones tonight," said Bergesen. "There was some bloop hits and a couple chopper groundballs that got through. They also hit some balls hard. It's not one of those where I'm going to wonder if I need to change anything. I don't need to change anything at all, the results just weren't there for me tonight."
But Wakefield hit the wall in the bottom half.
J.J. Hardy, who finalized his three-year extension with the Orioles on Monday, hammered a two-run homer to left field to bring Baltimore within 6-4.
Adam Jones crushed his 16th homer of the season far beyond the left field fence, and Wakefield went on to load the bases after walking Mark Reynolds on four pitches. Nolan Reimold then doubled down the left field line to put Baltimore ahead, 7-6, and chase Wakefield from the game.
Wakefield allowed seven runs -- three earned -- in 4 2/3 innings. Bergesen gave up six runs -- four earned -- in five frames.
The Red Sox are 7-2 vs. the Orioles this year, and have scored 66 runs in the nine games...Francona picked up the 997th win of his managerial career...Wakefield remained stuck on 198 career wins, but his three strikeouts give him 1,996 in his Red Sox career...Until Lee's error in the fourth, the Orioles hadn't committed one in 62 innings...Orioles right fielder Nick Markakis went 1-for-5 to extend his hitting streak to 11 games...Boston DH David Ortiz and Orioles pitcher Kevin Gregg began serving three-game suspensions on Monday. The suspensions, which stem from a benches-clearing melee during the Red Sox-Orioles game on July 8, were reduced by a game from the original sentence...On Monday, the Orioles placed pitcher Alfredo Simon on the restricted list and recalled third baseman Josh Bell from Triple-A Norfolk...To make room for Crawford on the roster, Boston optioned infielder Drew Sutton to Pawtucket.
- BOSTON: 15
Jul 18 10:46 PM
- Adam Jones grounded out third to first. On the play, Nick Markakis advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Matt Wieters due up.
Red Sox 15, Orioles 10 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 18 10:25 PM
- J.J. Hardy advances to second and Robert Andino advances to third on a wild pitch. Runners on second and third with one out and Nick Markakis at the plate.
Red Sox 15, Orioles 8 Bot 8, 1 OutJul 18 10:23 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Darnell McDonald double to left scored Kevin Youkilis, Josh Reddick and Carl Crawford. Runner on second with two outs and Marco Scutaro due up.
Red Sox 15, Orioles 7 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 18 10:09 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia struck out swinging. Bases loaded with two outs and Darnell McDonald due up.
Red Sox 12, Orioles 7 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 18 10:06 PM
- Chris Jakubauskas enters the game for the Orioles with runners on second and third and one out.
Red Sox 11, Orioles 7 Top 8, 1 OutJul 18 10:01 PM
- Dustin Pedroia double to right scored Darnell McDonald and Marco Scutaro. On the play, Jacoby Ellsbury advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Red Sox 9, Orioles 7 Top 8, 1 OutJul 18 9:56 PM
- Kevin Youkilis single to left scored Jacoby Ellsbury. On the play, Dustin Pedroia advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Josh Reddick due up.
Red Sox 7, Orioles 7 Top 7, 1 OutJul 18 9:14 PM
- Nolan Reimold double to left scored Matt Wieters and Derrek Lee. On the play, Mark Reynolds advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Felix Pie due up.
Red Sox 6, Orioles 7 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 18 8:39 PM
- Adam Jones two-out, solo Home Run (16) to left. Matt Wieters due up.
Red Sox 6, Orioles 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 18 8:31 PM
- J.J. Hardy one-out, two-run Home Run (14) to left scored Felix Pie. Nick Markakis due up.
Red Sox 6, Orioles 4 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 18 8:26 PM
- Josh Reddick two-out, solo Home Run (4) to right. Carl Crawford due up.
Red Sox 6, Orioles 2 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 18 8:19 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury sacrifice fly to left scored Jarrod Saltalamacchia. On the play, Marco Scutaro advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Red Sox 5, Orioles 2 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 18 8:08 PM
- Marco Scutaro reached first on Derrek Lee's fielding error scored Carl Crawford. On the play, Jarrod Saltalamacchia advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Red Sox 4, Orioles 2 Top 4, 1 OutJul 18 8:07 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez single to left scored Jacoby Ellsbury. On the play, Dustin Pedroia advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Kevin Youkilis due up.
Red Sox 3, Orioles 2 Top 3, 1 OutJul 18 7:46 PM
- Dustin Pedroia single to left scored Marco Scutaro. On the play, Jacoby Ellsbury advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Red Sox 2, Orioles 2 Top 3, 1 OutJul 18 7:44 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia lead-off Home Run (7) to center. J.D. Drew due up.
Red Sox 1, Orioles 2 Top 3, 0 OutsJul 18 7:37 PM
- Derrek Lee triple to center scored Adam Jones and Matt Wieters. Runner on third with two outs and Mark Reynolds due up.
Red Sox 0, Orioles 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 18 7:20 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 18 7:07 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21