Buehrle goes 8, White Sox top OriolesAug 12, 2011 - 3:54 AM
Buehrle (10-5) gave up three runs on six hits, fanned six and did not issue a walk. He has allowed three runs or fewer in 18 consecutive starts. Sergio Santos worked a perfect ninth to earn his 25th save of the season
Juan Pierre finished with three hits and a pair of RBI, Alexei Ramirez smacked a two-run homer and A.J. Pierzynski collected three hits for the White Sox, who have won six of their last seven games, including three of four in this series.
The White Sox are four games behind AL Central-leading Detroit with a nine- game homestand upcoming.
"We just can't go home and go 1-6 now," Buehrle said. "That seems like it's been our problem. We do this for a week and then we play bad for a week."
Nick Markakis cracked a two-run home run, Nolan Reimold had two hits and J.J. Hardy collected an RBI single for the Orioles, losers in 10 of their last 13.
Chris Tillman (3-5) was roughed up in 2 2/3 innings, giving up six runs on eight hits while walking three and striking out three to take the loss.
The White Sox came out of the gate on fire and didn't look back after batting around to plate four runs in the first inning.
Pierre singled, Ramirez hit his 12th home run of the year, Paul Konerko doubled and came around to score on a double by Carlos Quentin and Pierzynski smacked a double -- all before Tillman could record an out.
The Baltimore starter finally recorded the first out of the inning on a groundout by Alex Rios. Following a walk to Adam Dunn, who is now hitting only .161 this season, Tillman retired the next two hitters to end the inning. But he labored, throwing 32 pitches.
"It's frustrating," Tillman said. "I wasn't necessarily making bad pitches, but they got way too comfortable early. I was all over the plate and by the time I noticed, it was almost too late. You have to pitch effectively inside and I didn't do that today."
The White Sox added two runs to their lead in the third. Dunn worked a one-out walk and Brent Morel roped a single two batters later, going to second base on the throw. Pierre then slapped a ball down the first base line which caromed off the glove of Chris Davis and rolled toward the tarp, allowing both runners to score.
Tillman was removed from the game after throwing 77 pitches. Brad Bergesen came in and walked Ramirez but came back and retired Konerko to end the inning.
Baltimore got right back in the game in the bottom of the third, cutting the deficit to 6-3. After a Davis strikeout, Reimold ripped a ground-rule double and moved to third on a groundout by Robert Andino. Hardy slapped a single into left to plate the Orioles' first run of the game and Markakis followed by pulverizing a ball deep into the Baltimore night for his 11th home run of the season.
The Orioles threatened in the fifth, putting runners on second and third with two down for Markakis, but Buehrle battled back and fanned him to avert further trouble.
Chicago went 6-1 on its seven-game road trip...Santos has made 26 consecutive scoreless appearances on the road this season...The teams split their season series, with each side winning four games...Konerko extended his hitting streak to eight games...Pierre stole his 19th base of the season in the third...Markakis' home run was the 100th of his career...Quentin avoided getting plunked on Thursday, but has been hit by a pitch a major league leading 22 times this season...Following Thursday's game, Tillman was optioned to Triple-A Norfolk.
- CHICAGO: 6
Aug 11 9:40 PM
- Nick Markakis two-out, two-run Home Run (11) to right scored J.J. Hardy. Adam Jones due up.
White Sox 6, Orioles 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 11 8:12 PM
- J.J. Hardy single to left scored Nolan Reimold with two outs. Runner on first with Nick Markakis due up.
White Sox 6, Orioles 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 11 8:12 PM
- Juan Pierre infield single to first scored Adam Dunn and Brent Morel with two outs. Runner on first with Alexei Ramirez due up.
White Sox 6, Orioles 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 11 7:57 PM
- A.J. Pierzynski double to right scored Carlos Quentin with none out. Runner on second with Alex Rios due up.
White Sox 4, Orioles 0 Top 1, 0 OutsAug 11 7:15 PM
- Carlos Quentin double to left scored Paul Konerko with none out. Runner on second with A.J. Pierzynski due up.
White Sox 3, Orioles 0 Top 1, 0 OutsAug 11 7:14 PM
- Alexei Ramirez none-out, two-run Home Run (12) to left center scored Juan Pierre. Paul Konerko due up.
White Sox 2, Orioles 0 Top 1, 0 OutsAug 11 7:10 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 11 7:07 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22