Cardinals get to Kershaw, Dodgers for fourth straight winApr 17, 2011 - 6:10 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Allen Craig went 3-for-4 and blew the game open with a three-run homer off Clayton Kershaw in the fifth inning, helping the Cardinals to a 9-2 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Kyle McClellan (2-0) pitched seven strong innings, allowing six hits and a run. Miguel Batista and Eduardo Sanchez finished up the rest of the way.
"Today is the best I've felt all season. When nobody's on I'm going to be aggressive," McClellan said. "Tonight I felt I had the ability to pitch out of jams."
Ryan Theriot had three hits and an RBI for the Cardinals, who have won four in a row and six of their last seven games. On Sunday, they'll try to complete a four-game sweep at Dodger Stadium for the first time since July 1-4, 1968.
St. Louis has outscored the Dodgers, 29-9 so far in this series.
Kershaw (2-2) was charged with six hits, five walks and five runs over 4 2/3 innings as the Dodgers faltered for a fifth straight game.
"It was one of those nights, they're swinging the bats well and fouled off a lot of pitches," Kershaw said. "I walked some guys and that home run did us in."
Andre Ethier had three hits and scored once for the Dodgers, who have dropped five in a row. They went 1-for-14 with men in scoring position and are 6- for-33 in this series.
Albert Pujols singled and Matt Holliday walked, both with one out in the fifth. With two down, Craig blasted a homer barely over the wall in left field for a 5-1 lead.
"It was a 2-1 count, he threw me a slider and got it up," Craig said. "It was more of a reaction. It's not easy to come off the bench, but I'm more prepared this year."
Home plate umpire Joe West warned both benches after Tyler Greene was hit by a Mike MacDougal pitch in the back in the sixth inning. Greene stole third later in the inning on an errant pickoff throw, scoring when the ball went into center field.
Greene singled in Craig in the eighth, and Matt Kemp plated Casey Blake with a base hit in the bottom half.
The Cardinals scored twice in the ninth with five straight hits off Ramon Troncoso. Included in that were RBI singles from Holliday and David Freese.
The Cardinals wasted a bases-loaded, one-out chance in the second when Greene and McClellan both struck out, but they filled them again in the third and squeezed out a run on Freese's sacrifice fly.
Theriot's double plated McClellan in the fourth, but the Dodgers got that run back in the bottom half on James Loney's RBI groundout.
Prior to the game, the Dodgers recalled Troncoso from Triple-A Albuquerque and placed pitcher Hong-Chih Kuo on the 15-day disabled list due to a left lower back strain...Ethier has a 13-game hitting streak...The Cardinals had 13 hits. Prior to this game, they had 14 or more in each of their previous five contests...McClellan is 3-0 lifetime against the Dodgers.
- ST. LOUIS: 9
LOS ANGELES: 2
Apr 17 1:28 AM
- David Freese single to right scored Albert Pujols with one out. Runners on first and third and Miguel Batista due up.
Cardinals 9, Dodgers 2 Top 9, 1 OutApr 17 1:14 AM
- Matt Holliday single to center scored Colby Rasmus with one out. Runners on first and second and David Freese due up.
Cardinals 8, Dodgers 2 Top 9, 1 OutApr 17 1:12 AM
- Matt Kemp single to short scored Casey Blake with none out. Runners on first and second and Juan Uribe due up.
Cardinals 7, Dodgers 2 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 17 12:56 AM
- Tyler Greene single to left scored Allen Craig with one out. Runner on first and Kyle McClellan due up.
Cardinals 7, Dodgers 1 Top 8, 1 OutApr 17 12:47 AM
- ST. LOUIS: 6
LOS ANGELES: 1
Top 6, 1 Out
Cardinals 6, Dodgers 1 Top 6, 1 OutApr 17 12:12 AM
- Allen Craig two-out, three-run Home Run (1) to left scored Albert Pujols and Matt Holliday. Gerald Laird due up.
Cardinals 5, Dodgers 1 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 16 11:50 PM
- James Loney ground out to first scored Andre Ethier with two outs. Runner on second and Rod Barajas due up.
Cardinals 2, Dodgers 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 16 11:37 PM
- Ryan Theriot double to left scored Kyle McClellan with two outs, On the play Ryan Theriot was tagged out between second and third to end the inning.
Cardinals 2, Dodgers 0 Mid 4Apr 16 11:28 PM
- David Freese sacrifice fly to right scored Ryan Theriot with two outs. Runners on first and second and Allen Craig due up.
Cardinals 1, Dodgers 0 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 16 11:12 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 16 10:11 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22