Giants double up Padres to earn splitApr 7, 2011 - 4:39 AM
Aubrey Huff drove in three runs on a 3-for-5 game with two runs scored while Pablo Sandoval drove in the other run for the Giants, who split the two-game set.
Tim Lincecum (1-1) went seven innings and gave up just one run on three hits with 13 strikeouts.
"It's probably as good as I've seen his fastball all spring," said Posey about Lincecum. "He just had great command today and it showed on the scoreboard."
Chase Headley hit a two-run double in the ninth and Brad Hawpe drove in a run earlier the frame, but the comeback fell short for the Padres, who had won three of four to start the season.
Tim Stauffer (0-1) was tagged for four runs on eight hits with two walks and a strikeout over 4 2/3 innings of action.
"We just couldn't break through against Lincecum and get anything going," said San Diego manager Bud Black. "That's the way it goes sometimes when you face a pitcher of his caliber."
Brian Wilson, who was activated from the disabled list prior to the game, came on in the ninth and got the first out, but the next three batters reached base with Hawpe's infield single combined with an error from Miguel Tejada scored a run. After Ryan Ludwick struck out, Jeremy Affeldt took the mound and Headley greeted him with a double to make it an 8-4 game.
The next two batters then reached base to bring the tying run to the plate, but Ramon Ramirez came on and struck out Rob Johnson for his first save of the year.
Huff hit an RBI double in the first and Posey followed with a shot over the wall in left for a 3-0 lead.
Hundley hit a solo homer in the third to get the Padres on the board, but Huff doubled home another run in the fifth for a 4-1 lead.
RBI singles from Huff, Posey and Sandoval, with Posey driving in two runs, gave San Francisco an 8-1 lead.
San Francisco will have its home opener on Friday against St. Louis...The Padres host the Dodgers for a three-game set starting on Friday...San Diego took 12 of 18 from San Fran last season...Wilson had been sidelined with a strained oblique muscle.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 8
SAN DIEGO: 4
Apr 6 9:38 PM
- Chase Headley doubled to center scoring Orlando Hudson and Brad Hawpe. Runner on second with two outs and Chris Denorfia due up.
Giants 8, Padres 4 Bot 9, 2 OutsApr 6 9:30 PM
- Brad Hawpe singled to short. On the play, Miguel Tejada's throwing error scored Alberto Gonzalez. Runners on first and third with one out and Ryan Ludwick due up.
Giants 8, Padres 2 Bot 9, 1 OutApr 6 9:26 PM
- Pablo Sandoval singled to right scoring Aubrey Huff. Runners on first and second with two outs and Pat Burrell due up.
Giants 8, Padres 1 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 6 8:25 PM
- Buster Posey singled to right scoring Miguel Tejada and Freddy Sanchez. Runners on first and second with two outs and Pablo Sandoval due up.
Giants 7, Padres 1 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 6 8:22 PM
- Aubrey Huff singled to pitcher scoring Brandon Belt. Bases loaded with two outs and Buster Posey due up.
Giants 5, Padres 1 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 6 8:19 PM
- Aubrey Huff doubled to left scoring Andres Torres. Runner on second with one out and Buster Posey due up.
Giants 4, Padres 1 Top 5, 1 OutApr 6 7:44 PM
- Tim Stauffer flied out to right. None on with two outs and Will Venable due up.
Giants 3, Padres 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 6 7:20 PM
- Buster Posey one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Aubrey Huff. Pablo Sandoval due up.
Giants 3, Padres 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 6 6:42 PM
- Aubrey Huff doubled to right scoring Freddy Sanchez. Runner on second with one out and Buster Posey due up.
Giants 1, Padres 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 6 6:40 PM
- Andres Torres flied out to center. None on with one out and Freddy Sanchez due up.
Apr 6 6:37 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21