Stewart gets first MLB win, ChiSox top TwinsAug 7, 2011 - 4:20 AM
Stewart (1-1), in his fourth career start, scattered eight hits and fanned two while walking one. It was his first start for the White Sox since coming over in a trade from the Toronto Blue Jays.
Brent Lillibridge smacked a two-run homer and Paul Konerko collected a pair of RBI. Alex Rios chipped in three hits for the White Sox, who have taken the first two games of this series after dropping six in a row.
Danny Valencia knocked in the only run for the Twins with a single. Michael Cuddyer, who started the game at second base, added a pair of doubles in a losing effort.
Carl Pavano (6-9) gave up two runs -- one earned -- on nine hits while striking out five and walking one for the Twins, who have lost three in a row and six of seven.
Down 2-1 in the seventh, the Twins stranded a runner at third. Matt Tolbert singled, went to second on a sacrifice bunt. Chris Sale replaced Stewart and retired Denard Span on a groundout. Joe Mauer then grounded out to end the frame.
Minnesota put a runner at third with no outs in the eighth on an opposite- field double by Cuddyer and a wild pitch by Sale. Sale got Jason Kubel and Jim Thome to ground out before being pulled in favor of Jason Frasor. He wasted no time in getting the White Sox out of trouble, as he dispatched Valencia on three pitches.
Chicago added four runs in the ninth. Alejandro De Aza led off the inning with a single and stole second. After Brent Morel struck out, Juan Pierre worked a walk. Both runners advanced a base on a wild pitch by Joe Nathan and De Aza scored on a throwing error by Drew Butera. Chicago added a fourth run on a groundout by Konerko. Lillibridge then blasted his eighth homer of the year.
"It was a real close game, it was 2-1 until the ninth," White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski said. "We got some runs off Perkins and Nathan but we played better and Stewart pitched well. Paulie [Konerko] got a huge hit for us and its worked out for us the last two games."
Morel worked a one-out walk in the fifth and Pierre followed with a single to right. After an Alexei Ramirez fly-out, Konerko followed with an RBI single to break the scoreless game. The White Sox added a second run when Pierre attempted to steal third and Butera's throw got past Valencia and into center field.
"They produced some runs. I needed a sold outing and I needed to go deep in the game and give us a chance to win," Pavano said. "I got out of whack a little bit in the fifth and couldn't find the plate. The walk to Morel really hurt me. I could have challenged him but I tried to pick and before you know it we're down two runs."
Minnesota placed a runner in scoring position with one out in the bottom the inning on an error by Stewart, who then plunked Butera to give the Twins runners on first and second with one out. Span followed and grounded into a fielder's choice to leave the Twins with runners on the corners with two down for Mauer. Span stole second, but Stewart battled back to fan Mauer and preserve the lead.
The Twins got a run back in the sixth, Jason Kubel ripped a one-out single and Jim Thome followed with a double. Valencia then singled home Kubel to make it a 2-1 game. Delmon Young grounded into an inning-ending 4-6-3 double play.
Prior to the game, members of the Twins 1991 World Series championship team gathered to be honored. Sunday the Twins will honor the late Kirby Puckett with a pregame tribute...Rios smacked his 16th double of the season...It was Cuddyer's 78th career start at second base...Thome extended his hitting streak to 10 games. He went 1-for-3 with a walk...Twins reliever Glen Perkins tossed a third of an inning and has allowed only three earned runs in his last 21 appearances dating back to June 26.
- CHICAGO: 6
Aug 6 9:57 PM
- Delmon Young struck out swinging. None on with one out and Matt Tolbert due up.
White Sox 6, Twins 1 Bot 9, 1 OutAug 6 9:54 PM
- Juan Pierre advances to second and Alejandro De Aza advances to third on a Joe Nathan wild pitch. On the play, Alejandro De Aza scored on Drew Butera's throwing error with one out. Runner on second and Alexei Ramirez at the plate.
White Sox 3, Twins 1 Top 9, 1 OutAug 6 9:41 PM
- Danny Valencia single to center scored Jason Kubel with one out. On the play, Jim Thome advances to third. Runners on first and third and Delmon Young due up.
White Sox 2, Twins 1 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 6 8:42 PM
- Delmon Young singled to left. On the play, Delmon Young was thrown out at second, left to second. None on with one out and Matt Tolbert due up.
White Sox 2, Twins 0 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 6 8:22 PM
- Paul Konerko single to left scored Brent Morel with two out. On the play, Juan Pierre advances to second. Runners on first and second and Adam Dunn due up.
White Sox 1, Twins 0 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 6 8:16 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 6 7:13 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22