Young stars as Rangers down AthleticsMay 11, 2011 - 5:00 AM
Adrian Beltre and Mike Napoli also drove in two runs for the Rangers, with Beltre smacking a two-run homer. Colby Lewis (3-4) pitched 7 1/3 rain- interrupted innings, allowing one run on five hits and a walk to give Texas just its third win in its last seven games.
Brett Anderson (2-3) took the loss in 4 2/3 innings, allowing four runs on six hits and four walks while striking out five to end Oakland's two-game win streak.
Texas loaded the bases in the fourth after Young and Mitch Moreland led off the inning with back-to-back singles, and David Murphy walked after a Beltre groundout. Napoli then worked a walk to bring home Young, and Craig Gentry followed with a single that scored Moreland. Julio Borbon and Elvis Andrus followed with groundouts to limit the damage and keep the score 2-0.
Beltre hit a two-run homer and Napoli added a run-scoring double in the fifth to make it a five-run game.
Cliff Pennington's solo shot in the sixth put the A's on the board. Lewis had faced the minimum in four straight innings before allowing the home run to Pennington.
Borbon started the sixth inning with a bunt single and was followed two batters later by an Ian Kinsler walk before they were both brought home on Young's triple to make the score 7-1.
Conor Jackson added a sacrifice fly in the ninth to account for the other Oakland run. Ryan Sweeney reached base on Beltre's fielding error and went to third with one out after walks by Josh Willingham and Kurt Suzuki. Jackson's sac fly scored Sweeney and then Andy LaRoche grounded out to end the game.
The A's have won nine of the last 15 matchups with Texas and are 4-2 in this season's series...Borbon extended his hit streak to 10 games...The rain delay lasted 59 minutes in the sixth inning...Texas hit 3-for-14 with runners in scoring position and left 10 men on base.
- OAKLAND: 2
May 10 11:55 PM
- Conor Jackson sacrifice fly out to center scored Ryan Sweeney. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Andy LaRoche due up.
Athletics 2, Rangers 7 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 10 11:53 PM
- Michael Young tripled to right center scored Julio Borbon and Ian Kinsler. Runner on third with one out and Mitch Moreland due up.
Athletics 1, Rangers 7 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 10 11:06 PM
- Cliff Pennington one-out, solo Home Run (3) to right. David DeJesus due up.
Athletics 1, Rangers 5 Top 6, 1 OutMay 10 9:46 PM
- Mike Napoli doubled to center scored David Murphy. Runner on second with two outs and Craig Gentry due up.
Athletics 0, Rangers 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 10 9:38 PM
- Adrian Beltre two-out, two-run Home Run (8) to left center scored Michael Young. David Murphy due up.
Athletics 0, Rangers 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 10 9:32 PM
- Craig Gentry singled to left scored Mitch Moreland. On the play, Mike Napoli advances to second and David Murphy advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Julio Borbon due up.
Athletics 0, Rangers 2 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 10 9:18 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 10 8:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22