Angels score late to down A'sMay 24, 2011 - 5:44 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Torii Hunter had an RBI double to spark a three-run eighth inning and give the Angels a 4-1 victory over the Athletics in the opener of a four-game series.
Bobby Abreu knocked in a run and Jeff Mathis plated two more for the Angels.
Scott Downs (2-1) earned the win when he pitched a scoreless eighth inning of relief to give the Angels their third win in four games.
Brian Fuentes (1-7) took the loss when he allowed the game-winning run to reach base in the eighth.
He relieved starter Josh Outman, who was making his first start since June 19, 2009. Outman missed the rest of that season and all of 2010 due to Tommy John surgery. He went seven innings, allowing one run on five hits and three walks while fanning two.
"That was quite an outing for his (Outman) first time out. He threw the ball well. Unfortunately we couldn't get him any runs," Oakland's manager Bob Geren said.
Hideki Matsui had the lone RBI for the A's, who lost their sixth consecutive game.
The Angels took a quick lead in the first on an Abreu single that scored Maicer Izturis. Izturis worked a walk to lead off the inning and moved to second on a sacrifice bunt by Erick Aybar.
Oakland knotted the game up in the third on a bases loaded sacrifice fly by Matsui. Coco Crisp doubled with one out and was followed by back-to-back walks from Daric Barton and Ryan Sweeney. Matsui then hit a ball to deep center field that allowed Crisp to take home. Angels starter Jered Weaver then got Conor Jackson to fly out to center to end the threat and keep the game tied at one.
Michael Wuertz entered the game in relief of Fuentes with one out and Abreu on first in the eighth. Abreu stole second and Hunter doubled to knock in Abreu for the go-ahead run.
"I've been feeling good the last couple of games and the results are starting to show. I'm focusing a little more and looking for pitches to drive," said Hunter.
The Angels added a couple more after Alberto Callaspo was intentionally walked and Mark Trumbo followed with a fielder's choice that moved Hunter to third. Trumbo took second on defensive indifference and both Hunter and Trumbo crossed the plate on a Mathis single that gave the Angels a 4-1 cushion.
Jordan Walden pitched a perfect ninth inning to secure the win and earn his ninth save of the year.
Oakland had a chance to grab the lead in the seventh but they could not convert on their opportunity.
Andy LaRoche singled with two outs moved to second on a base hit by Cliff Pennington. Crisp came up next and hit a single to right field, but Hunter fielded the ball cleanly and threw a laser to home that beat LaRoche to the plate by three steps and Jeff Mathis converted the tag for the out.
Weaver allowed one run on six hits and three walks while striking out five through seven innings...Oakland went 1-for-5 with runners in scoring position and left eight men on base.
- OAKLAND: 1
LOS ANGELES: 4
May 24 12:54 AM
- Jeff Mathis single to left scored Torii Hunter and Mark Trumbo with two out. Runner on first and Peter Bourjos due up.
Athletics 1, Angels 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 24 12:47 AM
- Torii Hunter double to right scored Bobby Abreu with one out. Runner on second and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Athletics 1, Angels 2 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 24 12:41 AM
- Hideki Matsui sacrifice fly to center scored Coco Crisp with two out. Runners on first and second and Conor Jackson due up.
Athletics 1, Angels 1 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 23 11:04 PM
- Bobby Abreu single to center scored Maicer Izturis with one out. Runner on first and Torii Hunter due up.
Athletics 0, Angels 1 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 23 10:24 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 23 10:09 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22