Marlins double up AstrosJul 9, 2011 - 5:06 AM
Mike Stanton had a 2-for-3 night with two RBI and Gaby Sanchez added two hits, including a double, and three runs scored for Florida, which has won five of its last seven games.
Javier Vazquez (5-8) gave up just two runs on six hits over seven innings to earn the win. After allowing two runs in the first, Vazquez shut out the Astros over the next six frames.
"I'm staying more aggressive. I'm just pounding the strike zone, and that's what I have to keep doing," said Vazquez.
Leo Nunez picked up his 24th save of the year after retiring the final two batters of the game.
Jeff Keppinger and Brett Wallace had an RBI each and Michael Bourn added two hits and a run scored for Houston, which has dropped seven of its last eight games.
Jordan Lyles (0-4) was tagged with the loss after giving up five runs on seven hits over six innings.
"It was not a good outing. It didn't go as planned," said Lyles. "I didn't start good, and I didn't finish good."
The Marlins took a 3-2 lead in the third after Sanchez hit a two-out double past a diving Carlos Lee in left and Ramirez followed with a single back up the middle to knock in the run.
Florida added two more in the fifth. With the bases loaded, Logan Morrison drew a walk, forcing in Omar Infante. Stanton followed with a sacrifice fly that carried to the warning track, narrowly missing a grand slam, to drive in the second run of the inning.
The Marlins added another run in seventh after Stanton laced a single to right scoring Sanchez.
Houston scored one more in the ninth after Carlos Corporan roped a single to center knocking in Wallace, who doubled to open the inning. But the Astros couldn't keep the momentum going after Nunez entered with one out in the ninth and he slammed the door shut.
The Astros jumped ahead 2-0 in the first. Bourn beat out a grounder to short stop to lead off the inning and moved to second on a fielder's choice that also allowed Hunter Pence to reach base. Bourn then advanced to third on a Lee fly out, before scoring on a Keppinger bloop single. Wallace followed with an RBI single to right-center.
The Marlins evened the score in the bottom half of the frame after Ramirez blasted a two-run homer. Bryan Peterson led off with a walk before Ramirez sent a fastball over the wall in right-center three batters later.
Florida threatened to put another run on the board in the second with Stanton on third an one out. But when Vazquez flew out to right Stanton was thrown out at home by Pence after attempting to tag up.
Ramirez has raised his batting average 46 points since moving into the cleanup spot in the Marlins batting order...Florida has won four straight games against the Astros at Sun Life Stadium...Florida optioned pitcher Brad Hand to Jacksonville (SL); and recalled pitcher Chris Hatcher...Bourn's infield single was his major league-leading 22nd infield hit of the season...The Astros claimed pitcher Lucas Harrell off waivers from the Chicago White Sox.
- HOUSTON: 3
Jul 8 9:51 PM
- Carlos Corporan single to center scored Brett Wallace with one out. Runner on first with one out and Sergio Escalona due up.
Astros 3, Marlins 6 Top 9, 1 OutJul 8 9:45 PM
- Greg Dobbs flied out to center to end the inning.
Astros 2, Marlins 6 End 7Jul 8 9:23 PM
- Mike Stanton sacrifice fly to left scored Gaby Sanchez with two out. Runners on first and second with two outs and Greg Dobbs due up.
Astros 2, Marlins 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 8 8:43 PM
- Logan Morrison walk scored Omar Infante with one out. Bases loaded with one out and Mike Stanton due up.
Astros 2, Marlins 4 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 8 8:39 PM
- Hanley Ramirez single to center scored Gaby Sanchez with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Logan Morrison due up.
Astros 2, Marlins 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 8 8:06 PM
- Hanley Ramirez two-out, two-run Home Run (8) to center scored Bryan Petersen. Logan Morrison due up.
Astros 2, Marlins 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 8 7:29 PM
- Brett Wallace single to center scored Hunter Pence with two out. On the play, Jeff Keppinger advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Clint Barmes due up.
Astros 2, Marlins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 8 7:20 PM
- Jeff Keppinger single to center scored Michael Bourn with two out. On the play, Hunter Pence advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Brett Wallace due up.
Astros 1, Marlins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 8 7:20 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 8 7:13 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21