Angels top Tribe in 12th to win seriesApr 14, 2011 - 3:27 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Jeff Mathis scored Vernon Wells on a sacrifice fly in the bottom of the 12th inning, giving the Angels a 4-3 victory over the Indians in the rubber match of a three-game set.
Torii Hunter hit a two-run homer in the fourth inning, while Howie Kendrick scored on a two-base throwing error from his double to begin the frame as Los Angeles won for the fourth time in five games.
"It feels good [to win] because we just played a hot team," Hunter said of the Indians. "Just to cool those guys down shows that we are playing well right now."
Angels starter Ervin Santana went seven-plus innings, allowing three runs on six hits while striking out three. Hisanori Takahashi (1-0) got the win for pitching a hitless final two innings.
Shin-Soo Choo finished 1-for-3 with two RBI, while Indians starter Carlos Carrasco allowed three runs on five hits in seven innings. He also struck out five.
"Today's game we had very good pitching," Indians manager Manny Acta said. "Carrasco threw a tremendous ball game."
Chad Durbin (0-1) took the loss for the Tribe after allowing the deciding run in the 12th.
Choo got the Indians on the board with a two-out sacrifice fly in the first inning, scoring Asdrubal Cabrera.
Kendrick led off the fourth inning with a double to left field. However, Cabrera overthrew the cutoff man, with the ball rolling into the home dugout. and Kendrick was granted a two-base error, tying the game at 1-1.
After Bobby Abreu walked, Hunter belted his third homer of the season, over the left field wall, to put the Halos up 3-1.
Adam Everett hit a two-out single in the fifth, and scored when Michael Brantley stroked a double to right field, drawing the Tribe within a run.
Cleveland pulled even in the eighth inning. Everett and Brantley opened the frame with consecutive singles. Cabrera then grounded into a fielders choice, which saw Everett get tagged out in a rundown.
Cabrera and Brantley both advanced on a wild pitch by reliever Scott Downs, and Choo hit a sharp grounder to the pitcher, which allowed Brantley to score from third to tie the game at three.
Wells hit a one-out single in the 12th off Durbin, then moved to second on an Alberto Callaspo walk. Both runners moved over a base thanks to another wild pitch. After Mark Trumbo loaded the bases with an intentional walk, Mathis lofted a fly ball to center, which allowed Wells to score to end the game.
Brantley finished 3-for-5 with a double and RBI...The Indians finished 0-for-8 with runners in scoring position and stranded six...The Angels left five men on base.
- CLEVELAND: 3
LOS ANGELES: 4
Apr 13 10:24 PM
- Jeff Mathis sacrifice fly to center scored Vernon Wells with two outs to win the game.
Indians 3, Angels 4 Bot 12, 2 OutsApr 13 10:24 PM
- Fernando Rodney enters the game for the Angels with a runner on third and two outs.
Indians 3, Angels 3 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 13 9:04 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera grounded out second to first to end the inning.
Indians 2, Angels 3 Mid 5Apr 13 8:16 PM
- Torii Hunter none-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Bobby Abreu. Vernon Wells due up.
Indians 1, Angels 3 Bot 4, 0 OutsApr 13 8:03 PM
- Howie Kendrick doubled to left, advances to home on Asdrubal Cabrera's throwing error. None on with none out and Bobby Abreu due up.
Indians 1, Angels 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsApr 13 8:01 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo sacrifice fly to center scored Asdrubal Cabrera with two outs. None on and Carlos Santana due up.
Indians 1, Angels 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 13 7:12 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Apr 13 7:08 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21