Lester leads Red Sox over AngelsMay 4, 2011 - 2:27 AM Boston, MA (Sports Network) - Jon Lester tossed seven strong inning while Adrian Gonzalez went 2-for-4 with a solo home run and two RBI as the Boston Red Sox downed the LA Angels of Anaheim, 7-3, in the second of a four-game set.
Lester (4-1) gave up six hits and a run with a walk and 11 strikeouts for the Red Sox, who have won three straight. Marco Scutaro hit a two-run home run in the eight inning while David Ortiz added a solo shot in the frame.
Mark Trumbo hit a solo home run and added a sacrifice fly for the Angels, who have dropped four of six. Dan Haren (4-2) was tagged for four runs on nine hits with eight strikeouts over seven-plus innings.
Trumbo's solo homer in the second staked the Angels to a 1-0 lead and Haren limited Boston to two hits through the first five innings, but Boston got to him in the sixth.
With one out, Jacoby Ellsbury extended his hitting streak to 12 games with a double to right and came home two batters later on a Gonzalez single to left. After Ortiz singled, Jed Lowrie punched a base hit to right for a 2-1 lead.
The seventh saw Carl Crawford hit a one-out single and Jarrod Saltamacchia follow with a double for a 3-1 advantage.
After the homer in the second, Lester didn't allow an Angel to third and Daniel Bard retired the Angels in order in the eighth.
Gonzalez led off the bottom of the eighth with a homer and Ortiz followed with a shot to right off of Hisanori Takahashi. Lowrie then singled and Scutaro later hit a pitch just over the Green Monster for a 7-1 lead.
Erick Aybar hit an RBI ground-rule double and Trumbo followed with a sacrifice fly off of Jonathan Papelbon in the ninth to account for the final score.
It was the 8,000th game in Angels history. The team has a mark of 3,983-4,017...Boston has won all six games against the Angels this year and took nine of 10 from the club last season...Josh Beckett throws for Boston on Wednesday and will be opposed by Ervin Santana.
- LOS ANGELES: 3
May 3 9:51 PM
- Mark Trumbo sacrifice fly to left scored Vernon Wells with one out. Runner on second and Jeff Mathis due up.
Angels 3, Red Sox 7 Top 9, 1 OutMay 3 9:48 PM
- Erick Aybar ground-rule double to right scored Torii Hunter with none out. Runners on second and third and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 2, Red Sox 7 Top 9, 0 OutsMay 3 9:47 PM
- Marco Scutaro one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Jed Lowrie. Carl Crawford due up.
Angels 1, Red Sox 7 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 3 9:32 PM
- David Ortiz none-out solo Home Run (4) to right. Jed Lowrie due up.
Angels 1, Red Sox 5 Bot 8, 0 OutsMay 3 9:25 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez lead-off Home Run (2) to right. David Ortiz due up.
Angels 1, Red Sox 4 Bot 8, 0 OutsMay 3 9:20 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia double to center scored Carl Crawford with one out. Runner on second and Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Angels 1, Red Sox 3 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 3 9:07 PM
- Jed Lowrie single to right scored Adrian Gonzalez with two out. Runners on first and second and J.D. Drew due up.
Angels 1, Red Sox 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 3 8:47 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez singled to left scored Jacoby Ellsbury with two out. Runner on first and David Ortiz due up.
Angels 1, Red Sox 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 3 8:43 PM
- Mark Trumbo two-out, solo Home Run (5) to left. Jeff Mathis due up.
Angels 1, Red Sox 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 3 7:30 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 3 7:10 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21