Kemp's 11th-inning HR lifts Dodgers over RockiesAug 28, 2011 - 1:51 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Matt Kemp's game-winning home run in the bottom of the 11th inning gave the Dodgers a 7-6 victory over the Rockies in the second portion of a three-game series.
Casey Blake added a two-run double in a five-run sixth inning as Los Angeles tied a season high with their fifth straight win.
Mike MacDougal (1-1) threw a scoreless top of the 11th for the win.
Jason Hammel (7-13) tossed a scoreless 10th inning before allowing Kemp's one- out solo shot over the wall in right-center field as Colorado has dropped the first two in the set.
Troy Tulowitzki smacked a pair of two-run home runs, and Carlos Gonzalez went 4-for-6 with two RBI and two runs scored to extend his season-high hit streak to 14 games. Gonzalez also set a franchise record by recording an RBI in 11 straight games.
Chad Billingsley started for LA and tossed six full frames, allowing four runs -- three earned -- on 10 hits and two walks, while Kevin Millwood allowed two runs on five hits and a walk through 5 1/3 innings in the start for Colorado.
After failing to push a run across in the 10th with the bases loaded, the Dodgers needed just two batters in the 11th to end the game. Kemp fell behind 0-2 before muscling his 31st homer of the season on a hanging slider to the opposite field.
"It felt pretty good, but any walkoff is a good walkoff," said Kemp. "We fought back. We kept fighting."
Things began on a brighter not for the Rockies. Mark Ellis hit a leadoff double in the third and Gonzalez followed with a base hit to left, scoring Ellis. Tulowitzki stepped up next and blasted a home run over the left-field wall to put Colorado ahead 3-0.
Millwood reached first on a throwing error by Jamey Carroll in the fourth, advanced to second on Ellis' base hit to left and crossed the plate on a single to center by Gonzalez to increase the Rockies' lead.
After back-to-back one-out singles by Aaron Miles and James Loney put runners on the corners in the sixth inning, Millwood was replaced by Matt Belisle on the mound. Kemp then hit a grounder to third that Kevin Kouzmanoff threw home, attempting to get Miles at the plate. But Chris Iannetta couldn't get a handle on the ball and Miles scored on the missed catch error.
Juan Rivera followed with an RBI single to right, and after an intentional walk to Andre Ethier loaded the bases, Blake smacked a first-pitch double into the left-center gap, scoring Kemp and Rivera. Two batters later, Carroll singled in Blake to give the Dodgers a 5-4 lead.
It was short lived, however, as Gonzalez greeted reliever Hong-Chi Kuo in the seventh with a bunt single before Tulowitzki hammered his second two- run homer of the night.
Rafael Betancourt stranded a runner on second in the eighth and then returned to the mound in the ninth. After getting Miles to pop out to second, Loney pulled a first-pitch slider into the bleachers in right field to send the game into extra innings.
"If we would have executed a little bit, we would have been done an hour and a half ago. In the sixth inning, we couldn't catch the ball, leading to five runs," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said about the game.
Second base umpire Bob Davidson left the game in the fourth inning because of dehydration...Los Angeles improved to 7-1 in extra-inning games this season while Colorado fell to 3-7 in extras...It was the sixth career multi-homer game for Tulowitzki.
- COLORADO: 6
LOS ANGELES: 7
Aug 27 8:51 PM
- Matt Kemp one-out, solo Home Run (31) to right to end the game.
Rockies 6, Dodgers 7 Bot 11, 1 OutAug 27 8:51 PM
- James Loney one-out, solo Home Run (8) to right. Matt Kemp due up.
Rockies 6, Dodgers 6 Bot 9, 1 OutAug 27 8:04 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki none-out, two-run Home Run 2 (28) to left scored Carlos Gonzalez. Todd Helton due up.
Rockies 6, Dodgers 5 Top 7, 0 OutsAug 27 6:57 PM
- Jamey Carroll singled to right scoring Casey Blake. On the play, A.J. Ellis advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Trent Oeltjen due up.
Rockies 4, Dodgers 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 27 6:49 PM
- Casey Blake doubled to left center scoring Matt Kemp and Juan Rivera. On the play, Andre Ethier was tagged out at the plate, Runner on third with two outs and A.J. Ellis due up.
Rockies 4, Dodgers 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 27 6:48 PM
- Juan Rivera singled to right scoring James Loney. On the play, Matt Kemp advances to third on Kevin Kouzmanoff's missed catch error. Runners on first and third with one out and Andre Ethier due up.
Rockies 4, Dodgers 2 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 27 6:44 PM
- Matt Kemp grounded into a fielder's choice to third scoring Aaron Miles. On the play, James Loney advances to third on Chris Iannetta's missed catch error. Runners on first and third with one out and Juan Rivera due up.
Rockies 4, Dodgers 1 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 27 6:41 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez singled to center scoring Kevin Millwood. On the play, Mark Ellis advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Rockies 4, Dodgers 0 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 27 5:43 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki none-out, two-run Home Run (27) to left scored Carlos Gonzalez. Todd Helton due up.
Rockies 3, Dodgers 0 Top 3, 0 OutsAug 27 5:12 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez singled to left scoring Mark Ellis. Runner on first with none out and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Rockies 1, Dodgers 0 Top 3, 0 OutsAug 27 5:08 PM
- COLORADO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 27 4:12 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22