Rockies top Giants, LincecumMay 17, 2011 - 5:40 AM
Troy Tulowitzki drove in two runs and Seth Smith added a solo homer for the Rockies, who won for just the third time in their last 11 games.
Clayton Mortensen (1-0) allowed seven hits and four runs with four strikeouts and two walks in six innings. Huston Street turned in a scoreless ninth for his 13th save.
Nate Schierholtz belted a two-run homer and Andres Torres hit a solo shot for the Giants, who came in having won nine of their previous 11.
Tim Lincecum (3-4) was shelled in defeat for nine hits and seven runs -- three earned - with six walks over 5 2/3 frames.
Down 4-2 in the home sixth, Colorado rallied to take the lead for good.
Smith began the burst with a solo homer, Jose Lopez singled and Lincecum managed to throw away a double-play grounder from Jose Morales.
"I was waiting for someone to get there, and I yanked the throw," recalled Lincecum.
Two batters later, Dexter Fowler singled home a run to tie the game, but when Jonathan Herrera singled, Morales was thrown out trying to score.
Gonzalez followed by ending Lincecum's outing on a three-run blast to dead center, and the Rockies led 7-4.
"I was cheating on a breaking ball. It showed up and I took advantage," Gonzalez said of the at-bat.
Matt Lindstrom held the Giants at bay despite two men on in the eighth by fanning pinch-hitter Pat Burrell looking, then Street retired the side in order to lock up the win.
San Francisco picked up a run in the third as Miguel Tejada doubled, was sacrificed to third by Lincecum, then scored on a wild pitch.
Tulowitzki's two-run base hit in the fifth plated Mortensen -- who worked a leadoff walk -- and Fowler, who followed with a single.
The Giants responded with three runs in the top of the sixth, when Torres began the frame with a homer and Schierholtz cleared the wall in right with two down.
Gonzalez tied a season high with three RBI, accomplished on April 11 against the Mets...Lincecum also walked six batters in a 5-2 loss to Atlanta on April 23...Despite the loss, San Francisco still leads the season series 5-2.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 4
May 16 11:36 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez two-out, three-run Home Run (5) to center scored Dexter Fowler and Jonathan Herrera. Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Giants 4, Rockies 7 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 16 10:34 PM
- Jonathan Herrera singled to center. On the play, Dexter Fowler advances to third and Jose Morales out at home. Jonathan Herrera to second. Runners on second and third with two outs and Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Giants 4, Rockies 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 16 10:33 PM
- Jose Lopez singled to left. Runner on first with none out and Jose Morales due up.
Giants 4, Rockies 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsMay 16 10:20 PM
- Nate Schierholtz two-out, two-run Home Run (3) to right scored Aubrey Huff. Cody Ross due up.
Giants 4, Rockies 2 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 16 10:15 PM
- Freddy Sanchez doubled to left. Runner on second with none out and Aubrey Huff due up.
Giants 2, Rockies 2 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 16 10:11 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki single to center scored Clayton Mortensen and Dexter Fowler. On the play, Carlos Gonzalez advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Todd Helton due up.
Giants 1, Rockies 2 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 16 10:04 PM
- Miguel Tejada scored on a wild pitch. None on with two outs and Freddy Sanchez at the plate.
Giants 1, Rockies 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 16 9:17 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 16 8:41 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21