Dodgers top D-Backs in series-openerAug 6, 2011 - 6:27 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Casey Blake went 3-for-5 and scored during the Dodgers' six-run third inning, boosting Los Angeles over the Arizona Diamondbacks, 7-4, in the opener of a three-game series.
Rod Barajas homered and drove in three runs and Juan Rivera reached base four times with an RBI single and three walks for the Dodgers, who got six effective innings from Chad Billingsley (10-9) to win for the third time in four games.
Josh Collmenter (6-7) was tagged for six runs on eight hits in just 2 1/3 innings to take the loss, the Diamondbacks' second straight. They remained a half-game behind San Francisco for first in the NL West.
Collmenter left the bases loaded in the first inning before imploding in the third. Dee Gordon sparked the big frame with a leadoff bunt single, then stole second and scored when Justin Upton misplayed Blake's base hit to right.
Andre Ethier followed with an RBI double, and Matt Kemp and Rivera each added singles, the latter plating a run. Kemp scored on Aaron Miles' sacrifice fly to center, and Collmenter was mercifully pulled after surrendering another base hit.
Barajas greeted reliever Micah Owings with an inning-capping two-run double for a 6-0 advantage.
"All season we've kind of struggled to score runs, so when you have an inning like that where everything's going good, guys are getting on base, you want to try to keep that going," said Barajas.
Upton tripled and scored on a Chris Young sac fly to get the hosts on the board in the sixth, while Gerardo Parra and Willie Bloomquist each knocked in a run in the seventh to pull within three.
"We pushed them in the end," said Arizona manager Kirk Gibson. "Hopefully we play better tomorrow."
Barajas took Bryan Shaw over the wall in right-center in the eighth to get a run back.
Young scored on a Miguel Montero sac fly in the bottom half, but Javy Guerra recorded the final four outs to post his 10th save of the season.
Billingsley, who was charged with three runs on seven hits, has alternated wins and losses over his last seven outings...Owings lasted 4 2/3 innings...Bloomquist had three hits in defeat.
- LOS ANGELES: 7
Aug 6 1:11 AM
- Miguel Montero sacrifice fly to center scored Chris Young with one out. None on and Ryan Roberts due up.
Dodgers 7, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 6 12:34 AM
- Rod Barajas one-out, solo Home Run (10) to right center. Jamey Carroll due up.
Dodgers 7, Diamondbacks 3 Top 8, 1 OutAug 6 12:23 AM
- Willie Bloomquist single to second scored Paul Goldschmidt with none out. On the play, Sean Burroughs advanced to second and Gerardo Parra advanced to third. Bases loaded and Kelly Johnson due up.
Dodgers 6, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 7, 0 OutsAug 6 12:04 AM
- Sean Burroughs is pinch-hitting for Micah Owings.
Dodgers 6, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 7, 0 OutsAug 5 11:57 PM
- Juan Rivera walked. Runners on first and second with one out and Aaron Miles due up.
Dodgers 6, Diamondbacks 1 Top 7, 1 OutAug 5 11:48 PM
- Rod Barajas double to left center scored Juan Rivera and James Loney with one out. Runner on second and Chad Billingsley due up.
Dodgers 6, Diamondbacks 0 Top 3, 1 OutAug 5 10:40 PM
- Aaron Miles sacrifice fly to right scored Matt Kemp with one out. Runner on first and James Loney due up.
Dodgers 4, Diamondbacks 0 Top 3, 1 OutAug 5 10:34 PM
- Andre Ethier double to left scored Casey Blake with none out. Runner on second and Matt Kemp due up.
Dodgers 2, Diamondbacks 0 Top 3, 0 OutsAug 5 10:28 PM
- Casey Blake singled to right. On the play, Dee Gordon scored on Justin Upton's fielding error with none out. Runner on first and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 3, 0 OutsAug 5 10:25 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 5 9:41 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21