Giants edge Diamondbacks for fifth straight winMay 12, 2011 - 6:51 AM
Aubrey Huff hit a solo home run while Miguel Tejada went 3-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored for the Giants, who have won five straight.
"Things are clicking right now for us and we have to take advantage of that," Torres said.
Jonathan Sanchez (3-2) went six innings in the win as he gave up three runs on six hits with two walks and seven strikeouts.
Armando Galarraga (3-3) was touched with the loss as he was charged with four runs on eight hits with three walks and four strikeouts over 5 1/3 innings for the Diamondbacks, who have dropped three straight. Henry Blanco went 2-for-4 with a solo home run and two RBI.
"We had a ton of chances early and we wasted them," said Arizona manager Kirk Gibson. "We had our opportunities to put runs on the board, but we didn't take advantage of them and it came back to cost us."
Arizona grabbed a 1-0 lead in the first as Stephen Drew's groundout plated Kelly Johnson, while Blanco singled to left in the second to score Gerardo Parra for a two-run lead.
It was a 3-0 game in the top of the fourth when Blanco smacked a solo home run to left-center, his second of the year, but the Giants answered in the fourth.
Buster Posey led with a single and three batters later Aaron Rowand walked. A Tejada single to left scored Posey and Rowand scored a bit later on a wild pitch by Galarraga.
Huff tied the game in the fifth with a leadoff home run, his fourth of the year.
The Giants went ahead by a run in the sixth. Tejada hit a one-out double to bring Juan Gutierrez on the mound. Tejada moved to third on a Pat Burrell flyout, and Torres followed with a ground-rule double for a 4-3 lead.
Ramon Ramirez worked a 1-2-3- seventh and got the first out of the eighth. Javier Lopez and Sergio Romo each got an out to finish the eighth.
Brian Wilson came out for the ninth and got into trouble as Xavier Nady doubled and Parra followed with a walk. However, Blanco struck out on a foul bunt attempt, pinch-hitter Russell Branyan grounded out and Johnson flied out as Wilson picked up his 12th save of the season.
Arizona went just 1-for-14 with runners in scoring position and left seven men on base...San Fran stranded eight men on base...The Giants took 13 of 18 from the Diamondbacks last season and have won four of five this year.
- ARIZONA: 3
SAN FRANCISCO: 4
May 12 1:15 AM
- Andres Torres ground-rule double to right center scored Miguel Tejada. Runner on second with two outs and Freddy Sanchez due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Giants 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 12 12:19 AM
- Aubrey Huff lead-off Home Run (4) to right. Buster Posey due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Giants 3 Bot 5, 0 OutsMay 11 11:54 PM
- Jonathan Sanchez advances to second on a wild pitch. Miguel Tejada advances to third. Aaron Rowand scored. Runners on second and third with two outs and Andres Torres at the plate.
Diamondbacks 3, Giants 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 11 11:38 PM
- Miguel Tejada single to left scored Buster Posey. On the play, Aaron Rowand advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Jonathan Sanchez due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Giants 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 11 11:33 PM
- Henry Blanco two-out, solo Home Run (2) to left center. Armando Galarraga due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Giants 0 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 11 11:18 PM
- Henry Blanco singled to left scoring Gerardo Parra. Henry Blanco to second on the throw. Runner on second with one out and Armando Galarraga due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Giants 0 Top 2, 1 OutMay 11 10:40 PM
- Stephen Drew grounded out to first scoring Kelly Johnson. On the play, Ryan Roberts advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Chris Young due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Giants 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 11 10:24 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 11 10:16 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21