Giants down D'Backs, alone in first in NL WestAug 4, 2011 - 12:40 AM
The Diamondbacks had pulled into a tie with the defending World Series champions by taking the first two games of this three-game set from AT&T Park, but they couldn't muster much offense against Ryan Vogelsong (9-1) on Wednesday.
Vogelsong, who entered play with an MLB-leading 1.28 home ERA, was lifted after allowing an RBI single to Arizona pitcher Zach Duke in the seventh inning. The All-Star right-hander gave up five hits, walked three and struck out seven in six-plus frames.
"I think it's a little too early to be pressing the panic button," Vogelsong said. "We've got a lot of games to go but at the same time we needed a win to break this losing streak so I just wanted to go out and have a good start."
San Francisco had been outscored 31-8 during its season worst-tying five-game skid.
It was not the debut Jason Marquis (8-6) had envisioned. Acquired from the Washington Nationals before the trade deadline, the new Arizona righty was tagged for eight runs -- seven earned -- on 10 hits while pitching into the fifth inning. Marquis tossed his fourth career shutout in his most recent outing versus the Giants on April 29.
Arizona had its winning streak snapped at four games.
"I sure do and I hope we stay in it," said Arizona manager Kirk Gibson when asked if he expects a dogfight for the division crown.
All of the Giants' scoring came in two innings as they put up four-spots in both the third and fifth.
Marquis gave up four straight singles to begin the third, with Pablo Sandoval and Carlos Beltran plating Andres Torres and Jeff Keppinger, respectively. Sandoval scored when Cabrera grounded out to shortstop. After Aubrey Huff reached on a fielding error, Beltran came home on Ross' fielder's choice.
Cabrera and Ross each stroked two-run doubles in the fifth.
The last time the Giants were swept at home by the Diamondbacks was July 25-27, 2008...Arizona right fielder Justin Upton went 0-for-3 to halt his hitting streak at 14 games...Giants reliever Guillermo Mota recorded six strikeouts in two innings.
- ARIZONA: 1
SAN FRANCISCO: 8
Aug 3 6:44 PM
- Zach Duke singled to left scoring Cody Ransom. On the play, Henry Blanco advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Willie Bloomquist due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Giants 8 Top 7, 0 OutsAug 3 5:56 PM
- Cody Ross doubled to center scoring Orlando Cabrera and Aubrey Huff. Runner on second with none out and Eli Whiteside due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Giants 8 Bot 5, 0 OutsAug 3 5:27 PM
- Aubrey Huff singled to first. On the play, Orlando Cabrera advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Cody Ross due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Giants 6 Bot 5, 0 OutsAug 3 5:24 PM
- Cody Ross grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scoring Carlos Beltran. Aubrey Huff out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Eli Whiteside due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Giants 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 3 4:47 PM
- Orlando Cabrera grounded out short to first scoring Pablo Sandoval. On the play, Carlos Beltran advances to second. Runner on second with one out and Aubrey Huff due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Giants 3 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 3 4:44 PM
- Pablo Sandoval singled to right scoring Andres Torres. On the play, Jeff Keppinger advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Carlos Beltran due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Giants 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsAug 3 4:42 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 3 3:46 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21