Brewers sweep rebuilding AstrosJul 31, 2011 - 9:48 PM
Prince Fielder went 3-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored while Corey Hart added three hits for the Brewers, who have won six straight after dropping consecutive games to the Giants.
"We're playing really good ball and we're pitching real good," said Milwaukee manager Ron Roenicke. "It's not like we're bashing the ball, but we put together good at-bats."
Milwaukee's Chris Narveson went 6 2/3 innings and gave up three runs on four hits with three walks and four strikeouts. Francisco Rodriguez (4-2) got the win for pitching the eighth inning.
Jason Bourgeois hit a three-run home run and scored twice for the Astros, who have lost eight of their last 10.
Houston's Brett Myers was touched for four runs -- three earned -- on eight hits with six strikeouts over six innings. Fernando Rodriguez (2-1) was saddled with the loss for giving up the winning run in the seventh.
"In his last five outings he has put us in a position to win," said Houston manager Brad Mills about Myers. "We just haven't done a good job of backing him up."
The Astros continued their roster dump on Sunday as they sent center fielder Michael Bourn to the Atlanta Braves for outfielder Jordan Schafer and pitchers Juan Abreu, Paul Clemens and Brett Oberholtzer.
Trailing by a run in the eighth, the Astros were able to tie the game when Bourgeois scored on a wild pitch after reaching base on a fielder's choice then stealing second and third.
The Brewers, though, took the lead back in the bottom of the frame as Ryan Braun led off with a double and scored when Fielder followed with a single for a 5-4 advantage.
"It makes it real interesting to pitch to him (Fielder)," said Roenicke. "Sometimes you think about pitching around him and it's really difficult to pitch around people unless you have great command."
John Axford then set the Astros down in order in the ninth for his 31st save of the season.
The Brewers jumped on top in the second inning. Felipe Lopez reached on a one- out single and Betancourt followed with an RBI double. Lucroy then worked a suicide squeeze bunt for a 2-0 lead.
Houston, though, took the lead in the fourth as its first two batters reached base and Bourgeois followed with his first home run of the season.
Milwaukee tied it in the bottom of the fourth as Lucroy hit an RBI double to plate Fielder and took a 4-3 lead in the sixth on a fielder's choice from Betancourt that plated Braun.
Myers hasn't won in eight starts and is 0-5 over that time...Axford has converted a club-record 28 straight save chances...The Brewers have taken six of nine from the Astros this season...Houston hosts Cincinnati for three games starting on Monday.
- HOUSTON: 4
Jul 31 4:48 PM
- Prince Fielder single to center scored Ryan Braun. Runner on first with none out and Felipe Lopez due up.
Astros 4, Brewers 5 Bot 8, 0 OutsJul 31 4:31 PM
- Jason Michaels advances to third and Jason Bourgeois scored on a wild pitch. Runner on third with two outs and J.D. Martinez at the plate.
Astros 4, Brewers 4 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 31 4:25 PM
- Yuniesky Betancourt grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second scoring Ryan Braun. Prince Fielder out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Astros 3, Brewers 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 31 3:40 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy double to left scored Prince Fielder.. Runner on second with two outs and Craig Counsell due up.
Astros 3, Brewers 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 31 3:08 PM
- Jason Bourgeois none-out, three-run Home Run (1) to left scored Jose Altuve and Clint Barmes. Carlos Lee due up.
Astros 3, Brewers 2 Top 4, 0 OutsJul 31 2:56 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy sacrifice bunt, pitcher to first scored Yuniesky Betancourt. None on with two outs and Craig Counsell due up.
Astros 0, Brewers 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 31 2:36 PM
- Yuniesky Betancourt double to left center scored Felipe Lopez. Yuniesky Betancourt advances to third on Clint Barmes' throwing error. Runner on third with one out and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Astros 0, Brewers 1 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 31 2:35 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 31 2:11 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21