Narveson, Brewers blank CubsApr 10, 2011 - 3:07 AM
Narveson (1-0) allowed all six of the Cubs' hits while striking out nine batters and only issuing one walk for Milwaukee, which has won four of five.
Ryan Braun finished 2-for-4 with an RBI double and scored three runs and Nyjer Morgan went 1-for-3 and worked a bases-loaded walk in the eighth inning to account for the final run.
Matt Garza (0-1) was tagged for five runs on eight hits in 5 2/3 innings. He struck out eight and issued three walks.
Despite the strong outing, Narveson got into a bind in the first inning.
After Narveson retired the first two Cubs, Marlon Byrd then doubled to right. The Brewers almost got out of the inning when Aramis Ramirez swung on a third strike out of the zone but the ball was wild, allowing Ramirez to reach first. Geovany Soto then walked to load the bases, however, Carlos Pena was fooled on a 3-2 changeup and struck out swinging to end the inning.
"When (Narveson) got into trouble he threw the ball great," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said. "His changeup was down and out of the zone and his breaking ball was good. He also had good break on his fastball."
Rickie Weeks singled to start the home half of the first, and after a Morgan sacrifice bunt, Braun and Fielder smacked consecutive RBI doubles to put Milwaukee up 2-0.
Morgan tripled and Braun walked in the bottom of the third and Fielder plated them both with an one-out double to left that widened the Brewers' advantage to 4-0.
Fielder accounted for his third double of the night in the fifth inning that scored Braun from first.
"(Fielder) got us twice on 0-and-2, you can't do that on a great player like that," Cubs manager Mike Quade said. "Garza knows that you have to move the ball around in the strike zone and it didn't happen."
After Garza was pulled with the bases loaded and two outs in the sixth, John Grabow struck out Morgan to get the Cubs out of a jam. Marcos Mateo sat down the Milwaukee 3-4-5 hitters in order in the seventh but the Brewers added their final run on the newly-inserted Jeff Samardzija in the eighth.
Samardzija got Yuniesky Betancourt to pop out to start the inning, and after Mark Kotsay walked he was replaced for pinch-runner Carlos Gomez. Gomez then proceeded to steal second and third but after Will Nieves and Weeks both worked walks the bases were loaded. Morgan capped the scoring when he worked a walk that scored Gomez and Marco Estrada entered for the Brewers in the ninth to close out the win.
Narveson is now 4-0 against the Cubs for his career...The Cubs went 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position and left seven runners on base...Milwaukee stranded nine.
- CHICAGO: 0
Apr 9 9:57 PM
- Carlos Gomez scored on a Nyjer Morgan walk. Bases loaded with two outs and Ryan Braun due up.
Cubs 0, Brewers 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 9 9:44 PM
- Prince Fielder double to left scored Ryan Braun with two out. Runner on second and Casey McGehee due up.
Cubs 0, Brewers 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 9 8:44 PM
- Prince Fielder double to left scored Nyjer Morgan and Ryan Braun with one out. Runner on second and Casey McGehee due up.
Cubs 0, Brewers 4 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 9 8:05 PM
- Prince Fielder double to right scored Ryan Braun with one out. Runner on second and Casey McGehee due up.
Cubs 0, Brewers 2 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 9 7:30 PM
- Ryan Braun double to center scored Rickie Weeks with one out. Runner on second and Prince Fielder due up.
Cubs 0, Brewers 1 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 9 7:29 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Apr 9 7:11 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21