Bulls top Hawks, inch closer to top of heap in EastMar 12, 2011 - 6:13 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Derrick Rose finished with a game-high 34 points to go with six rebounds and five assists as the Bulls easily got by the Hawks, 94-76, at United Center.
Luol Deng posted 18 points, nine rebounds and seven assists while Taj Gibson C.J. Watson and Ronnie Brewer each scored eight points in reserve roles for Chicago, which is now just a half-game behind Eastern Conference leading Boston.
"We just came out and played great basketball," Gibson said. "It's a team atmosphere in the locker room, everybody plays together."
Chicago has won five straight and eight of its last nine. Joakim Noah grabbed 11 rebounds and Kurt Thomas snagged 13 caroms as the Bulls held a dominating 50-28 margin on the glass.
The Bulls played without forward Carlos Boozer, who is dealing with a sprained left ankle.
Joe Johnson posted 16 points while Josh Smith scored 15 with six boards for the Hawks, who have dropped four straight and five of six. Jamal Crawford added 14 points in a reserve role for Atlanta.
Rose came alive in the third quarter, outscoring the entire Hawks team 18-10.
Atlanta took a 50-48 lead into the half and after two Deng free throws two minutes in, Rose scored 13-straight Chicago points, creating the necessary distance to put the game away.
A Gibson jumper with 3:02 remaining put the Bulls' lead at 68-55, and after trading baskets, Chicago took a 72-60 lead into the fourth with Rose's driving layup.
The fourth quarter was never in contention.
Deng paced Chicago with 10 points in the first quarter as Chicago held a 22-20 lead after one. Atlanta shot 61.9 percent from the field in the second quarter, taking a 50-48 lead into the half.
The Bulls began a three-game homestand with the win...The Bulls have won 10 straight at home for the first time since February 28 - April 11, 1998...Chicago is 28-4 at home this season.
- ATLANTA: 76
Mar 11 10:14 PM
- ATLANTA: 60
End of 3rd
Mar 11 9:43 PM
- ATLANTA: 50
Mar 11 9:04 PM
- ATLANTA: 20
End of 1st
Mar 11 8:36 PM
- ATLANTA: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Mar 11 8:12 PM
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- After fallback season, Hawks look to rise again in East May 9
- Love, James lead Cavs to another sweep, 100-99 over Hawks May 9
- Big Three leads Cavaliers back to Eastern Conference finals May 9
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 8
- Cavs looks unstoppable as they eye another playoff sweep May 8
- Cavaliers-Hawks Preview May 7
- Cavs looks unstoppable as they eye another playoff sweep May 7
- Frye leads another 3-point barrage, Cavs beat Hawks 121-108 May 7
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 7
- Hawks lineup change: Sefolosha for Korver in Game 3 vs Cavs May 6