Durant, Thunder top NuggetsApr 9, 2011 - 6:16 AM Oklahoma City, OK (Sports Network) - Kevin Durant scored 28 points and pulled down seven rebounds, as the Oklahoma City Thunder took down the Denver Nuggets, 104-89.
Russell Westbrook added 17 points, eight assists and six steals for the Thunder, who won the Northwest Division title with Wednesday's win over the Clippers and sit in fourth in the Western Conference.
Denver was trying to make a run for the division crown, but those hopes came to an end with a loss to the Thunder on Tuesday. The Nuggets sit in fifth in the West.
Nene finished with 18 points for Denver, which lost three of four to Oklahoma City this season. The two teams would meet in the first round of the playoffs if the season ended today.
Danilo Gallinari and Raymond Felton each donated 17 points in defeat.
"We had a lapse tonight," Felton said. "We've got to figure this thing out."
After playing to a 17-17 tie in the first quarter, the Thunder started to create some distance in the second. Daequan Cook tallied eight points during a 23-6 run, which Kendrick Perkins capped with a layup for a 40-25 margin.
Denver scored the final six points of the half to get within 48-42 at the break.
The Nuggets cut the gap to three early in the third, but Oklahoma City used a 10-2 flurry to create some space again. Durant and Thabo Sefolosha made three- pointers during the surge that Westbrook capped with a layup for a 58-47 margin with 6:34 to go.
Oklahoma City took a 75-64 margin into the fourth and cruised to victory from there.
"We wanted to go out and make a statement," Cook said.
Nazr Mohammed had 15 points off the bench for the Thunder...Kenyon Martin tallied 14 points and 13 rebounds for the Nuggets...Each team has three games left.
- DENVER: 89
OKLAHOMA CITY: 104
Apr 8 10:34 PM
- DENVER: 64
OKLAHOMA CITY: 75
End of 3rd
Apr 8 9:59 PM
- DENVER: 42
OKLAHOMA CITY: 48
Apr 8 9:09 PM
- DENVER: 17
OKLAHOMA CITY: 17
End of 1st
Apr 8 8:36 PM
- DENVER: 0
OKLAHOMA CITY: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Apr 8 8:13 PM
- Warriors-Thunder Preview May 23
- Draymond, Westbrook swap barbs over fouls, kicks May 23
- Warriors' Green could face discipline after flagrant foul May 23
- Durant, Westbrook lead Thunder in blowout win over Warriors May 23
- Mark Cuban tells 'Meet The Press' Thunder are his title pick May 22
- Warriors-Thunder Preview May 21
- Warriors' big men must come up big in Game 3 against Thunder May 21
- Donovan, Kerr took very different paths to NBA coaching May 21
- Thunder will try to bounce back after big loss to Warriors May 20
- Column: Savor our version of Magic-Bird - Curry vs LeBron May 20
- Stephen Curry's sore right elbow not limiting him on court May 20
- Klay Thompson has carried Warriors this postseason May 19