Nowitzki, Butler lift Mavericks past BullsOct 8, 2010 - 3:16 AM DALLAS (AP) -- Dirk Nowitzki was in regular-season form with 30 points and 10 rebounds, Caron Butler scored 14 of his 22 points in the fourth quarter, and the Dallas Mavericks beat the Chicago Bulls 88-83 on Thursday night.
Butler's 22-footer with 5:22 left gave Dallas (1-1) the lead for good at 76-75. He scored his team's next seven, capped by a 3-pointer with 3:14 to play that extended the Mavericks' advantage to 83-75.
Derrick Rose scored 17 points for Chicago (0-2). Center Joakim Noah, who agreed to a five-year, $60 million contract extension on Sunday, had 13 points, eight rebounds and six assists.
Nowitzki's 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds left in the second quarter gave Dallas a 45-44 edge at the break. The Mavericks carried a 66-63 lead into the final quarter.
DALLAS 88 FINAL
Oct 7 10:57 PM
END 3RD QTR 1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH TOTAL
--- --- --- --- -----
CHICAGO 23 21 19 63
DALLAS 18 27 21 66 END 3RD QTR
HIGH SCORERS AFTER 3RD QUARTER
CHI - DERRICK ROSE 15, JOAKIM NOAH 13,
KEITH BOGANS 10
DAL - DIRK NOWITZKI 28, JASON TERRY 11,
CARON BUTLER 8
Oct 7 10:25 PM
DALLAS 45 HALFTIME
Oct 7 9:40 PM
DALLAS 18 END, 1ST QTR
Oct 7 9:04 PM
- The Latest: Cuban: Sure, he'd run with Clinton or Trump May 22
- Mark Cuban tells 'Meet The Press' Thunder are his title pick May 22
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Mavericks guard Harris has surgeries on left toe, thumb May 10
- Nowitzki not retiring, all but certain to return to Mavs Apr 26
- Westbrook leads Thunder past Mavericks; OKC wins series 4-1 Apr 26
- Thunder use balance to advance past Mavericks Apr 26
- NBA Playoff Capsules Apr 26
- Mejri, Lee out for Dallas against Oklahoma City playoff game Apr 25
- Face of fracas? Durant says testy playoffs just part of game Apr 25
- Thunder look to advance; Hornets, Blazers try to even series Apr 25
- NBA fines Westbrook, Durant for Game 4 violations Apr 24