Mintz helps Lafayette defeat Wagner 81-72Nov 14, 2009 - 2:38 AM EASTON, Pa.(AP) -- Jared Mintz scored 20 points as Lafayette rallied to defeat Wagner 81-72 on Friday night in the season opener for both teams.
Wagner took a 33-32 lead into halftime following a 3-pointer by Tyler Murray with one second on the clock.
The Seahawks led 53-43 with 14:22 left when the Leopards went on a 13-4 run, keyed by Mintz's eight points, to draw within a point with 10:17 left.
Trailing 70-69 with 3:10 remaining, Lafayette used a 12-2 run to seal the win. The Leopards were 8-for-8 from the free throw line down the stretch.
Lafayette, which is playing its 100th year of basketball, improved to 47.1 percent from the field in the second half (16-for-34) after shooting 29.1 percent in the first (9-for-31).
Ryan Willen added 15 points for the Leopards and Jeff Kari had 14.
Ryan Conrad paced the Seahawks with 20 points and Chris Martin chipped in 14.
- Top-seeded Wagner tops Robert Morris 59-50 in NEC tourney Mar 2
- Wagner beats Robert Morris 62-54 behind Carey Feb 27
- Wagner edges Robert Morris 72-69 Jan 4
- Villanova trounces Lafayette in NCAA opener Mar 20
- Lafayette challenges No. 1 seed Villanova Mar 19
- Lafayette gets past American for Patriot League title Mar 11
- American and Lafayette meet for Patriot League title Mar 11
- No. 10 Kansas dominates Lafayette Dec 20
- Lafayette comes calling on No. 10 Kansas Dec 20
- Bucknell bests Lafayette for Patriot crown Mar 13
- Bison, Leopards meet in Patriot League title game Mar 13
- Gophers overwhelm Lafayette for eighth straight win Dec 22