Virginia Military Institute defeats Army 93-86Nov 14, 2009 - 3:45 AM LEXINGTON, Va.(AP) -- Austin Kenon scored 24 points and Virginia Military Institute held off Army 93-86 in the season opener for both teams on Friday night.
Kenon was only 3-for-11 from the field, but went 17-for-20 from the free throw line for the Keydets.
VMI took a 43-36 lead into halftime, then extended the lead to 10 points on a 3-pointer by Ron Burks, who finished with 15 points.
The Black Knights, playing their first game under new coach Zach Spiker, used an 11-0 run to pull ahead 47-46, but the Keydets responded with their own 8-0 run.
Army eventually tied the game at 79, then VMI scored six unanswered points to take control down the stretch.
Michael Sparks added 18 points for the Keydets, who had five players in double figures.
Tyrell Thompson and Cleveland Richard led Army with 14 points each. Jeremy Hence added nine rebounds as Army won the rebounding battle 43-29.
- NCAA BB
VMI 93 FINAL
Nov 13 9:23 PM
- NCAA BB
VMI 43 HALFTIME
Nov 13 8:10 PM
- Samford tops VMI in OT, 92-85, advances in SoCon tourney Mar 4
- VMI introduces Earl as new men's hoops coach Apr 13
- Citadel hires VMI coach Baucom Mar 30
- Okafor, No. 4 Duke beat Army Nov 30
- No. 4 Duke plays host to Army Nov 30
- No. 21 West Virginia routs VMI Nov 27
- Mountaineers continue run against Keydets Nov 26
- Army extends contracts of Spiker, Magarity Aug 20
- Asheville downs VMI for 2nd straight Big South title Mar 3
- Keydets and Bulldogs meet in Big South title tilt Mar 3
- Pittsburgh dominates VMI Dec 6
- Panthers and Keydets square off in Pittsburgh Dec 6