Maine narrowly defeats Fordham 76-73Nov 14, 2009 - 4:14 AM NEW YORK(AP) -- Gerald McLemore scored 26 points to lead Maine to a 76-73 win over Fordham in the season opener for both teams on Friday night.
McLemore shot 7-for-16 from the field, with all of his baskets coming from behind the 3-point arc. He also added eight rebounds for the Black Bears. Terrance Mitchell scored 21 points for Maine.
The Black Bears took a 75-66 lead on a free throw by Mitchell with 2:13 remaining in the game.
But Fordham ended the game on a 7-1 run, and a layup from Fordham's Jio Fontan finished the scoring with 45 seconds left. The Rams held possession at the end with one final chance to tie on a 3-pointer, but Fontan missed a long-distance shot with 4 seconds left on the clock.
Fontan led Fordham with 25 points and five assists. Brenton Butler added 18 points, and Chris Gaston chipped in with 15 points and 11 rebounds.
- Balanced Fordham defeats Fairleigh Dickinson 85-62 Nov 21
- Fordham hires EKU's Neubauer as coach Mar 30
- Pecora fired at Fordham Mar 18
- Jordan, Harrison lead St. John's past Fordham Dec 14
- Red Storm and Rams meet in MSG Holiday Festival Dec 14
- Maine names Walsh men's basketball coach May 7
- Williams helps UMass thump Fordham Jan 26
- Rams come calling on 13th-ranked Minutemen Jan 26
- Billikens dominate Rams Jan 18
- Billikens butt heads with Rams in A-10 action Jan 18
- No. 12 Connecticut crushes Maine Dec 6
- Black Bears come calling on 12th-ranked Huskies Dec 6