Marshall defeats North Carolina A&T 79-63Nov 15, 2009 - 9:44 PM HUNTINGTON, W.Va.(AP) -- Tyler Wilkerson grabbed a career-high 20 rebounds to lead Marshall to a 79-63 win over North Carolina A&T on Sunday in the Thundering Herd's season opener.
Wilkerson, who pulled down 14 defensive boards, had the most rebounds by a Marshall player since Rodney Holden grabbed 20 against The Citadel on Jan. 18, 1986. Marshall outrebounded the Aggies 50-39.
The Thundering Herd's Shaquille Johnson tied his career high with 22 points on 8-for-11 shooting in the Global Sports Invitational.
Marshall, which played North Carolina A&T (1-1) for the first time since 1973, led 38-33 at halftime and 48-43 with 15:43 left. The Thundering Herd then used an 18-5 run, sparked by eight points from Hassan Whiteside and two 3-pointers by Camden Miller, to lead 66-48 with 8:32 left.
Robert Johnson paced the Aggies with 16 points. Thomas Coleman added 10 points and 13 rebounds.
- Former UConn star Marshall to coach Central Connecticut Apr 6
- Marshall assistant coach Chris Duhon suspended after arrest Nov 30
- Veteran North Carolina aims to end where it starts: at No. 1 Nov 2
- Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Report: Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Newly ranked ODU rolls past Marshall Jan 8
- No. 25 Old Dominion takes aim at Marshall Jan 8
- No. 12 Ohio State routs NC A&T Dec 17
- Hapless Aggies challenge mighty Buckeyes Dec 17
- No. 22 WVU rallies to top Marshall Dec 14
- Marshall challenges No. 22 West Virginia Dec 14
- Louisville pulls away to down Marshall Nov 22