Eastern Washington tops Whitman, 100-88Nov 18, 2009 - 5:40 AM CHENEY, Wash.(AP) -- Benny Valentine scored 23 points and Brandon Moore had 19 points and career-best totals of 19 rebounds and five blocked shots, carrying Eastern Washington to its first victory, a 100-88 win over Whitman College on Tuesday night.
Mark Dunn added a career-high 21 points for the Eagles (1-2), who were playing their third game in four days. Brandon Shaw scored 24 points and Drew Raher added 12 for the Division III Missionaries in their season opener.
Dunn and Moore exploited the middle early against smaller Whitman, combining for 19 first-half points as Eastern Washington led by as many as 23 points.
But Whitman's frantic defense, which forced 30 Eastern Washington turnovers, kept the game relatively close. Whitman closed to within 10 on Brady Brent's 3-pointer with 1:08 left before Eastern Washington put it away at the foul line.
- Eastern Washington's college basketball game postponed Nov 17
- Eastern Washington routs D-III member George Fox 126-64 Nov 15
- Eastern Washington's Harvey turning pro Apr 1
- Georgetown topples Eastern Washington to advance Mar 20
- Hoyas set sights on Eagles in South Regional action Mar 19
- Harvey, Eastern Washington rally past Montana for Big Sky crown Mar 14
- Grizzlies, Eagles engage in Big Sky title bout Mar 14
- Unbeaten Huskies rally past Eastern Washington Dec 14
- Huskies seek to ground Eagles Dec 14
- SMU tops Eastern Washington to end skid Nov 23
- Mustangs hope to end slide against undefeated Eagles Nov 22
- Eastern Washington's Hayford gets new five-year deal Jun 13