Gaston sparks Fordham over Sacred Heart 76-66Nov 19, 2009 - 2:52 AM NEW YORK(AP) -- Freshman Chris Gaston scored 22 points, grabbed 13 rebounds and blocked five shots as Fordham got its first win of the season, defeating Sacred Heart 76-66 on Wednesday night.
Gaston, a 6-foot-7 forward, made 8 of 16 shots for the Rams (1-2), who shot 49.1 percent from the field (27-for-55) after averaging just 31.6 percent in season-opening losses to Maine and Fairfield.
Sacred Heart senior forward Corey Hassan, the Northeast Conference's Player of the Week, scored 33 points for the Pioneers (2-1). Hassan made 13 of 25 shots, including 4 of 9 3-pointers, and had 11 rebounds and five steals.
Fordham used a 21-2 run over a span of 7:25 in the second half to open a commanding 72-51 lead. Gaston and Brenton Butler, who scored 15 points for the Rams, each had eight points during the run.
The Pioneers are winless in four tries against teams from the Atlantic 10 Conference.
- Pryor leads Robert Morris over Sacred Heart 73-63 Feb 25
- Sacred Heart rallies to beat Robert Morris 69-65 Jan 2
- Balanced Fordham defeats Fairleigh Dickinson 85-62 Nov 21
- Fordham hires EKU's Neubauer as coach Mar 30
- Pecora fired at Fordham Mar 18
- Jordan, Harrison lead St. John's past Fordham Dec 14
- Red Storm and Rams meet in MSG Holiday Festival Dec 14
- Russell leads No. 20 Ohio State in rout of Sacred Heart Nov 23
- Buckeyes play host to Pioneers Nov 23
- Williams helps UMass thump Fordham Jan 26
- Rams come calling on 13th-ranked Minutemen Jan 26
- Billikens dominate Rams Jan 18