Rohnert's 20 lead Denver past Montana 56-49Nov 20, 2009 - 4:10 AM DENVER(AP) -- Nate Rohnert scored 20 points and sealed the win with two free throws in the last 11 seconds as Denver defeated previously unbeaten Montana 56-49 on Thursday night.
Chase Hallam had 14 for the Pioneers (2-1). Andrew Hooper added 12 for the Grizzlies.
Anthony Johnson led Montana (3-1) with 23 points. Brian Qvale had 10 of his 12 points in the second half.
The Grizzlies failed to get their first 4-0 start since opening the 1995-96 season 5-0.
Denver's 14-point halftime lead was reduced to 53-49 with 1:40 left after consecutive baskets by Johnson. The Grizzlies missed their next three shots.
Andrew Hooper made 1 of 2 free throws, and after Raason Young's shot was blocked, Rohnert sealed the win by hitting two free throws with 10.7 seconds left.
- University of Denver hires Rodney Billups as coach Mar 14
- Denver fires coach Joe Scott after 9 seasons Mar 11
- South Dakota State edges Denver in Summit tourney 54-53 Mar 8
- Rosga, Denver beat Omaha, advance to Summit League semis Mar 7
- Harvey, Eastern Washington rally past Montana for Big Sky crown Mar 14
- Grizzlies, Eagles engage in Big Sky title bout Mar 14
- Northern Iowa tops Denver on 30 shots Dec 10
- Panthers hit road to take on Pioneers Dec 10
- Montana tabs DeCuire to replace Tinkle May 31
- Montana dismisses Coleman Jun 7
- Syracuse advances in rout of Montana Mar 22
- Orange set sights on Grizzlies in East Regional tilt Mar 20