Wilkerson leads Marshall over Lamar 87-74Nov 26, 2009 - 3:32 AM HUNTINGTON, W.Va.(AP) -- Tyler Wilkerson had 18 points and seven blocks and Marshall tied its school record with 13 blocks in an 87-74 win over Lamar on Wednesday night.
The Thundering Herd (3-1) tied the mark set against the University of Charleston on Nov. 17, 2000.
Marshall blocked nine shots in the first half en route to a 41-25 lead while shooting 50 percent (18-for-36) from the field compared to 28.1 percent (9-for-32) for the Cardinals.
Lamar (2-4) improved to 46.2 percent (18-for-39) in the second half of the Global Sports Invitational, but could get no closer than 75-63 with 5:04 left on a 3-pointer by Reggie Mathis.
Hassan Whiteside had 14 points and 12 blocks for Marshall while Damier Pitts added 14 points.
Mathis and Justin Nabors scored 16 points apiece for the Cardinals.
Anthony Miles had 13 points and 11 rebounds as Lamar outrebounded Marshall 46-39.
- Former UConn star Marshall to coach Central Connecticut Apr 6
- Marshall assistant coach Chris Duhon suspended after arrest Nov 30
- Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Report: Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Newly ranked ODU rolls past Marshall Jan 8
- No. 25 Old Dominion takes aim at Marshall Jan 8
- No. 22 WVU rallies to top Marshall Dec 14
- Marshall challenges No. 22 West Virginia Dec 14
- No. 20 Iowa State pulls away to rout Lamar Dec 2
- Cyclones seek redemption in clash with Cardinals Dec 2
- Louisville pulls away to down Marshall Nov 22
- Marshall comes calling on No. 7 Louisville Nov 21