Southern Illinois defeats Illinois-Chicago 74-64Nov 29, 2009 - 3:43 AM CARBONDALE, Ill.(AP) -- Carlton Fay scored a career-high 23 points and Southern Illinois used a 19-0 second-half run to defeat Illinois-Chicago 74-64 on Saturday night.
Eleven of Fay's points came during the Salukis' hot stretch. Fay's night included 5 3-pointers.
Kevin Dillard added 17 points and Nick Evans 12 for Southern Illinois (3-1). Dillard also had five steals and five rebounds.
The starting backcourt dominated the scoring for the Flames (1-3), as Zavion Neeley scored a game-high 24 points and Robo Kreps added 19. Jeremy Buttell contributed 12.
The Salukis led 26-23 at the break.
Kreps drilled a 3-pointer with 12:07 to play that pushed the Flames ahead 42-40. But Southern Illinois answered immediately with a 3-pointer by Tony Freeman, starting the 19-0 run that did not end until Neeley nailed a free throw with 7:27 remaining.
- UIC hires McClain as men's basketball coach Mar 23
- Illinois-Chicago fires Moore Mar 10
- Wichita State tops SIU in MVC QFs Mar 6
- Salukis seek upset of Shockers in MVC Tournament Mar 6
- Wichita State cruises past Southern Illinois Feb 17
- Salukis face tall task in clash with 13th-ranked Shockers Feb 17
- Northern Iowa stays hot with win over Southern Illinois Jan 28
- MVC melee pits Panthers against Salukis Jan 28
- Carter scores 25 as Wichita State beats Southern Illinois Jan 14
- Salukis face uphill climb in clash with 13th-ranked Shockers Jan 14
- Wichita State goes to 26-0 after beating Southern Illinois Feb 11
- Salukis seek upset of fourth-ranked Shockers Feb 11