Texas-Pan American 58, Texas-San Antonio 84Dec 8, 2009 - 3:43 AM SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- Melvin Johnson III scored a season-high 19 points, Morris Smith IV added 15 and UTSA built an early double-digit lead before coasting to an 84-58 victory over Texas-Pan American on Monday night.
Johnson was 5 of 6 from 3-point range, and Smith scored all of his points in the first half, helping the Roadrunners (7-2) build a 45-26 lead at intermission.
Nick Weiermiller led the Broncs (1-9) with 13 points.
A layup by Chris Allen with 12:28 to go in the first half gave UTSA its first double-digit lead, 17-6, and capped a 13-0 run. After Texas-Pan American trimmed its deficit to 17-9, Johnson hit a 3, and UTSA led by double-digits the rest of the way.
The Roadrunners shot a season-best 54.8 percent, scored 44 points in the paint, outrebounded the Broncs 44-25 and led by as many as 29.
Texas-Pan American shot just 36.7 percent.
- Oklahoma assistant Steve Henson hired as UTSA head coach Apr 1
- Texas-San Antonio fires basketball coach Brooks Thompson Mar 10
- Elmore scores 23 with 7 treys as Marshall beats UTSA 109-91 Feb 6
- Loyola of Chicago pulls away from UTSA in 76-64 win Nov 14
- UTSA extends Thompson through 2016-17 Jul 26
- Hipsher to take over at UT-Pan American Apr 4
- Texas-Pan American suspends five players Jan 21
- Ohio State dominates Texas-Pan American Dec 3
- Broncs face tall task in bout with Buckeyes Dec 3
- Ohio State cruises in NCAA tourney opener Mar 18
- Johnson scores 29, leads UTSA to 1st NCAA tourney win Mar 16
- Texas-San Antonio captures Southland title Mar 12