Whiteside blocks 11; Marshall routs Brescia 105-54Dec 17, 2009 - 2:08 AM HUNTINGTON, W.Va.(AP) -- Hassan Whiteside set a Marshall single-game record of 11 blocked shots, while scoring 17 points and grabbing 14 rebounds in a 105-54 rout of Brescia on Wednesday night.
Whiteside, a 7-foot freshman, became the first player to record a triple-double for the Thundering Herd (8-1).
Seven players scored in double figures for Marshall, which also set a team record of 17 blocks in a game. Cam Miller scored 16 points and made all six of his shots, including four from 3-point range.
The Thundering Herd shot 61.5 percent (40-for-65), while the overmatched Bearcats, an NAIA school, managed just 25.6 percent (20-for-78).
Brescia, which got 14 points apiece from Andrea Sharp and Anthony Ingram, took a 16-14 lead with 13:35 left in the first half on Andrew Howard's 3-pointer, then was outscored 21-0 over the next 5:13.
- Former UConn star Marshall to coach Central Connecticut Apr 6
- Marshall assistant coach Chris Duhon suspended after arrest Nov 30
- Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Report: Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Newly ranked ODU rolls past Marshall Jan 8
- No. 25 Old Dominion takes aim at Marshall Jan 8
- No. 22 WVU rallies to top Marshall Dec 14
- Marshall challenges No. 22 West Virginia Dec 14
- Louisville pulls away to down Marshall Nov 22
- Marshall comes calling on No. 7 Louisville Nov 21
- Wichita State's Marshall named USBWA Coach of the Year Mar 24
- Herrion resigns as Marshall hoops coach Mar 14