Samford pulls away to defeat Shorter 61-39Dec 19, 2009 - 10:41 PM BIRMINGHAM, Ala.(AP) -- Josh Davis hit five 3-pointers and scored 17 points to lead Samford to a 61-39 victory over Samford on Saturday.
Davis, who is averaging 35.1 percent from beyond the 3-point line this season, was 5-for-10 from beyond the arc as the Bulldogs (4-7) handed the Hawks (10-2), a NAIA program, their second defeat in three games.
John Peterson scored 12 points and Trey Montgomery added 11 for Samford, which shot 54.2 percent from the field (13-for-24) in the second half and outscored Shorter 26-4 in the paint.
The Bulldogs led by nine at halftime and didn't pull away until Davis hit consecutive 3-pointers to turn a nine-point lead into a 50-35 advantage with 8:07 left in the game.
Bryan Friday's layup and Jeffrey Merritt's free throw extended the advantage to 53-35 with 5:10 left.
Montagious Brown led Shorter with 12 points and Marqise Wright had 10 rebounds.
- Take 5: Wary teams make tweaks ahead of shorter shot clock Nov 12
- Samford coach Padgett signs 4-year extension Mar 6
- Samford tabs Padgett new head coach Jun 6
- Thomas, Memphis fend off Samford Nov 18
- Samford takes on No. 17 Memphis Nov 17
- No. 2 Louisville feasts on Samford Nov 15
- No. 2 Cardinals set sights on Bulldogs Nov 15
- No. 3 Kentucky handles Samford Dec 20
- Kentucky puts win streak on the line against Samford Dec 20
- The Citadel tops Samford 55-43 in SoCon tournament Mar 5
- Appalachian State defeats Samford 82-68 Feb 27
- Western Carolina defeats Samford 61-44 Feb 25